FEMA extends deadline to apply for flood relief in Eastern Ky. Here’s how to get started

Eastern Kentucky homeowners and renters who saw their property damaged or washed away by the July floods now have another 30 days to apply for federal disaster assistance.

Honoring a request from Kentucky’s state government, the Federal Emergency Management Agency announced in a news release Monday it was extending the deadline to apply to Oct. 28.

The deadline extension comes as the initial deadline of Sept. 28 loomed for survivors in the relief-eligible counties of Breathitt, Clay, Floyd, Knott, Lee, Leslie, Letcher, Magoffin, Martin, Owsley, Perry, Pike and Whitley. Individuals in those counties may be eligible for rental assistance, temporary housing, coverage for home repairs and personal property loss and other disaster-related needs not covered by insurance.

If you do have insurance, FEMA advises filing a claim for damage to your home, personal property and vehicles before you apply for federal assistance. FEMA cannot duplicate other assistance you may have received.

The grants don’t have to be repaid, and accepting relief doesn’t affect your eligibility for Social Security, Medicaid or other federal assistance, the release said. The relief the agency offers is nontaxable.

Here’s how to apply for assistance from FEMA

  • Call the FEMA Helpline at 800-621-3362. Press 2 for Spanish. Press 3 for other languages. If you use a relay service, such as video relay service or captioned telephone service, give FEMA the number for that service.

  • Visit a FEMA disaster recovery center to apply. Find the nearest recovery center by visiting www.fema.gov/drc or by calling the FEMA Helpline.

  • Apply online by visiting. DisasterAssistance.gov.

  • Use the FEMA mobile app. Survivors can also use their smartphone, open the app and select “Talk to FEMA in person.”

What you need to apply for FEMA relief

  1. A current phone number

  2. Your address at the time of the disaster and your current address

  3. Your social security number

  4. A general rundown of what needs to be fixed or replaced at your home

  5. Your banking information if you choose direct deposit, which is recommended to speed up the payment process

  6. If you have insurance, call your insurer first and give FEMA your policy number or the agent and/or company’s name

Are missing documents holding up your flood relief from FEMA? Try these alternatives

Do you have a question about recovery in Kentucky for our service journalism team? We’d like to hear from you. Fill out our Know Your Kentucky form or email ask@herald-leader.com.