Coronation Street producer Iain MacLeod has shared that bringing the coronavirus into the new episodes of the soap will affect continuity.
The ITV programme has returned to filming after pausing for two months with the new scenes set to begin airing on the 24 July.
MacLeod said there will be a clear distinction as the show transitions to episodes made before the pandemic to new ones.
“It’s just like the flip of a switch,” he told the Evening Standard. "I think the audience understands and will go with it.
Coronation Street is back filming again after lockdown!— Coronation Street (@itvcorrie) June 10, 2020
In this exclusive, behind the scenes video, we talk to the actors about what it's like going back on the cobbles in a safe and socially distanced way. #Corrie #Exclusive #FirstLook #KeepCalmAndCorrieOn @itv @WeAreSTV pic.twitter.com/qNTm43uu9c
“Very quickly we're into a post pandemic world and I am sure there will be continuity comments but we have a mature audience who will understand."
He added that the show would be referencing the pandemic with a "light touch" and that it would be with "mostly visual" indicators.
“We will see a lot of washing hands, social distancing conspicuously, and people talking about older relatives who are shielded. A lot of our businesses will be operating as takeaways," MacLeod said.
The soap outlined their plans for the return last week, detailing that cast and crew members over 70 as well as those with underlying conditions would not be coming back to set until it was deemed safe for them to do so.
However, older cast members will still appear in the programme via video call.
Social distancing will be adhered to as crew members have been designated to a specific studio or the exterior lot, while cast and crew will have their temperatures checked on a daily basis by outside "specialised medical advisors".