A woman in Walnut Grove, California, has spent the last three weeks in intensive care after eating nacho cheese from a gas station.
Lavinia Kelly was driving
home from work on April 21 when she stopped at Valley Oak Food and Fuel gas station for a snack. After purchasing a bag of Doritos, she drizzled them with nacho cheese sauce that was available for customers.
The next day, the mother-of-three
went to a local hospital to be treated for double vision, according to the Sacramento Bee.
Though she was sent home, a few hours later, Kelly was having breathing problems and was vomiting.
Since then, she has been hospitalized and spent her 33rd birthday on Wednesday in intensive care being treated for botulism, a rare paralytic illness.
Botulism is caused by a nerve toxin produced by bacteria. Foodborne botulism typically comes from eating improperly canned or preserved foods, according to the CDC. Symptoms include drooping eyelids, slurred speech, difficulty swallowing, dry mouth and muscle weakness. The illness can be fatal and is considered a medical emergency. (Photo: Fox40com)
Kelly’s sister, Theresa Kelly, said the battle to recover has been an ordeal for the whole family.
“I’ve never seen my sister, um, not have function of her body or be able to communicate. And I’ve never seen my sister on tubes or anything like that,” she told Fox40.com.
Kelly is one of at least five people
who have reportedly been hospitalized for botulism after eating food purchased at the gas station, according to the Sacramento County Health and Human Services Dept.
Officials halted food sales at the business on May 5, according to a press release.
Health officials are investigating three other probable cases and one suspected case, according to the Los Angeles Times.
Although Kelly is spending her third week in the hospital, her family is hopeful she will recover.
“We just don’t know how long or how much effort and, and we’ve got somebody here every single morning, every single day,” Theresa Kelly told Fox40. “She’s not left, not one minute. We want to make sure that she can communicate as much as possible.” Story continues
On Tuesday, Kelly’s family f
iled a lawsuit against the gas station in Sacramento County Superior Court on Tuesday alleging negligence, product liability and breach of implied warranty, according to the Sacrament Bee.
Calls made Thursday to Valley Oak Fuel and Food by HuffPost were not returned.
Also on HuffPost Kentucky Deep-Fried Paper Towel A mom in Newcastle, England, was horrified when her 7-year-old's meal from KFC turned out to be a deep-fried paper towel. Click here to read the whole story. Bloody Bandage In Pizza Hut Pizza An upstate New York man said he found a bloody bandage baked into the crust of his Pizza Hut pizza in June 2011. He sued after the company failed to adequately address his concerns. McFeather In McNugget In March 2012, a woman claims she found a feather in her McNugget. Animal Toe In Spinach Artichoke Dip Andrew Brodsky, then 35, said he found an unidentified animal toe in his container of Sabra spinach and artichoke dip. Coil In Fried Chicken In January 2012, 50-year-old bus driver Lajzer Grynsztajn claims he nearly choked to death on such a coil after ordering two chicken breasts and fries from JFK Fried Chicken in Sunset Park, Brooklyn. Photo by Flickr user: Andrea_Nguyen Mouse In Big Mac Buns In January 2011, a mouse got trapped in a bag of Big Mac buns at a Philadelphia McDonald's. Whopper Spit Case A deputy sheriff alleges that someone spit in his Whopper ... and the case made it to the Washington state Supreme Court. Semen In Yogurt A grocery store worker pleaded guilty to handing out a semen-tainted yogurt sample at an Albuquerque market. Fingertip In Applebee's Salad Louisiana woman Mary Deal Chambers-Johnson sued Applebee's for damages after she claimed a fingertip in her lunch salad gave her post-traumatic stress disorder. Fly In Yogurt A Chinese woman found a fly in her yogurt in July 2011. When she asked for compensation, the manufacturer asked her to prove that the fly had died before she opened the container -- by getting the insect autopsied. (Flies cannot be autopsied.) Disemboweled Mouse In Packaged Salad A couple said they found a disembowled mouse in their Dole packaged salad mix in June 2011. They'd already started eating the salad by the time they found the mealbreaker; they promptly vomited. Human Blood On BLT & Fries Cancer survivor Susan Mosher was outraged after she allegedly found human blood on her BLT and fries at a Cracker Barrel in Kingwood, Texas, in late June 2011. Caterpillar In Weight Watchers Cake A dieting woman found a live caterpillar crawling on a Weight Watchers-brand slice of packaged cake in June 2011. She called it gross enough to put her off cake forever. Condom In French Onion Soup A California man claimed to find a condom in his French onion soup at a Clam Jumper restaurant, also in July 2009. The restaurant's PR firm said that they found no evidence of wrongdoing after conducting an investigation of the matter. Used Tampon In Steak In July 2009, a German tourist claimed to find a used tampon in his steak at the Waldorf-Astoria in New York. Dead Mouse In Bread In 2009, a man from Bath, England, found a dead mouse in a loaf of bread. Paperclips In Muffins At the height of the Beijing Olympics, reporters pounced on the Chinese food industry after athletes found paperclips in muffins served them at an official function. The story's most surprising revelation may just be that Olympic athletes eat muffins. Live Bullet In Hot Dog No one said hot dogs promote longevity, but it's not like eating a frankfurter is as dangerous as someone sticking a gun in your face --unless your name is Olivia Chaines and you're eating it at Costco. The then-31-year-old had swallowed a piece of a Hebrew National brand hotdog in the shopping aisle of a Costco in May 2004 before she realized that it contained a piece of metal. X-rays revealed that the hot dog had contained a live bullet. Semen In Spicy Tuna Sushi Sauce A New York woman sued a sushi bar after she tasted semen in the sauce atop her spicy tuna in June 2008. She said she still has samples frozen in her refrigerator. Rodent Tooth In Planter's Peanuts In 2006, a 52-year-old man from Illinois sued Kraft Foods for $55,000 to compensate for the physical and emotional distress he suffered after allegedly biting into a "non-human animal tooth" in a container of Planter's Peanuts. Gold Tooth In Mars Bar Finding a golden ticket in your candy bar is great. But a gold tooth? Not so much. That's what happened to a 62-year-old British man in September 2007. He contacted Mars to try to receive compensation, but got no substantive response. Human Skin In Chicken Sandwich Kitchen accidents happen. Knives are sharp; sometimes a cook will slice off a piece of skin over the course of an evening. It's understandable. Not understandable? Failing to clean up the product of an accident. That, apparently, is what happened at an Ohio Arby's in June 2007, when a man found a piece of human skin sitting on the lettuce in his chicken sandwich. The man sued, refusing a settlement that Arby's initially offered him. Mouse In Popeye's Fried Chicken A Baltimore man was eating fried chicken from Popeye's in September 2003 when he discovered that the fast food store had inadvertently fried a mouse along with the chicken parts. Syringe In Burger King Burger In June 2001, 22-year-old Angelina Cruz bit into a burger from Burger King -- and got pricked in the tongue by a syringe. Citing HIV fears, she sued the chain for $9 million. Worm In McNugget Fast food fan Nikki Sanders had a not-so Happy Meal when she bought McDonald’s for her 4-year-old daughter. The 30-year-old canteen worker said she discovered what looked like a worm hanging out of the batter surrounding a Chicken McNugget. Love HuffPost? Become a founding member of HuffPost Plus today. This article originally appeared on HuffPost.