The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt will feature a new game within its game, the competitive card game known as Gwent, developer CD Projekt Red announced today. Gwent is also getting a physical release, courtesy of the Xbox One collector's edition.
CD Projekt Red describes Gwent as a fast-paced combat card game that has more than 150 unique playing cards, four factions, hero cards, spell cards and more. Gwent is "a game of initial simplicity and ultimate depth, something beloved by both road-weary travelers during long nights around the campfire and elegant nobles looking to liven up dragging dinner parties," the developer says.
The Witcher fans can play Gwent in-game and in the real world, if they buy the Xbox One collector's edition of The Witcher 3. That version has been bolstered with a physical Gwent deck.
All collector's editions of The Witcher 3 include a copy of the game, the official soundtrack, a map of the in-game world, Steelbook packaging, a 200-age page art book, a Polystone statue of protagonist Geralt, an exclusive Witcher medallion and other physical goods. The Xbox One version builds on that with a cloth version of the game map and a Gwent deck. More details on standard, collector's and digital releases of the game were announced in July.
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt comes to PlayStation 4, Xbox One and Windows PC on Feb. 24, 2015.
More from polygon.com:
- Here's why I won't be playing Journey on PlayStation 4
- Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain coming to Steam (update)
- Mass surveillance, Watch Dogs and the militarized police: When strapping cameras on people is a good idea
- A new Silent Hill is coming from Hideo Kojima and Guillermo del Toro
- The new Silent Hill is designed to 'make you shit your pants,' Kojima says
- P.T. is a new interactive horror game for PlayStation 4 and you can try it now (update)