Man in custody after fleeing police, breaking into apartment and arming self with steak knife

WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) — A man is in custody after fleeing police, breaking into an apartment and arming himself with a steak knife Thursday evening.

According to Wichita Police Department Lieutenant Matt Lang, officers in the Broadway Corridor Team were in the area of South Broadway and East Indianapolis Street when they approached two men allegedly doing something suspicious. As officers attempted to talk to the men, one of them decided to run.

10-year-old shot while in car in south Wichita

A short pursuit led police to the 300 block of East Indianapolis Street. After a failed first attempt, the man forced his way into an apartment complex and told police he had a gun. It was later determined there was no indication that he ever had a gun and that he did not reside there.

The officers called in additional resources and set up a parameter around the building.

While doing so, the suspect was forced out of the apartment complex by a resident who armed themself. The suspect had acquired a steak knife before exiting.

“We immediately started negotiations,” said Lang. “He seemed pretty agitated, but once you started talking to him, he calmed down.”

Pedestrian struck in east Wichita hit-and-run

Lang says when officers were talking to the suspect, he tried to cut through a fence and approach officers. That is when police deployed a less lethal, or a bean bag shotgun.

“Based on the distance and location, we were able to successfully deploy the bean bag round that struck the individual in his shoulders, and he was able to contain him back onto a porch so he wouldn’t escape into the neighborhood or actually cause harm to himself or others,” said Lang.

It was after being hit by the less lethal that the suspect changed his demeanor.

“He was not hurt, but it changed him, prevented him from running off and running towards us or running into the neighborhood. So after that, he started feeling the pain, but he also realized that it wasn’t as serious as he thought,” said Lang. “We started talking to him, calming him down, and understanding his situation. He calmed down dramatically and was able to surrender to police without incident.”

KSN will provide more information as it becomes available.

For the latest news, weather, sports, and streaming video, head to KSN-TV.