By Tom Perry and John Irish BEIRUT/NEW YORK (Reuters) - Syria announced a new offensive against rebel-held areas of Aleppo on Thursday while diplomats failed to find a way in New York to revive a U.S. and Russian-brokered ceasefire that collapsed this week. Warplanes mounted the heaviest air strikes in months against rebel-held districts of Syria's commercial hub and largest city, dealing a fresh blow to efforts to end Syrian civil war that has raged since 2011. Rebel officials and rescue workers said incendiary bombs were among the weapons that rained down on Aleppo. Hamza al-Khatib, the director of a hospital in the rebel-held east, told Reuters 45 people were killed. "It's as if the planes are trying to compensate for all the days they didn't drop bombs" during the ceasefire, Ammar al-Selmo, the head of the civil defense rescue service in opposition-held eastern Aleppo told Reuters. Moscow and Washington announced the ceasefire with fanfare on Sept. 9. But the agreement, possibly the final bid for a breakthrough on Syria before President Barack Obama leaves office in January, collapsed like all previous peace efforts in a 5-1/2-year-old war that has killed hundreds of thousands of Syrians and made half the nation homeless. Syrian state media announced the new offensive and quoted the army's military headquarters in Aleppo urging civilians in eastern parts of the city to avoid areas where "terrorists" were located and said it had prepared exit points for those who want to flee, including rebels. The Syrian army announcement did not say whether the campaign would also include a ground incursion. The aerial assault, by aircraft from the Syrian government, its Russian allies or both, signaled Moscow and Damascus had rejected a plea by U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry to halt flights so that aid could be delivered and the ceasefire salvaged. In a tense televised exchange with Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov at the United Nations on Wednesday, Kerry said stopping the bombardment was the last chance to find a way "out of the carnage". Syrian President Bashar al-Assad indicated he saw no quick end to the war, telling the Associated Press it would "drag on" as long as it is part of a global conflict in which terrorists are backed by Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Turkey and the United States. HEAVIEST STRIKES FOR MONTHS Had the U.S.-Russian brokered truce, which took effect on Sept. 12, held and had humanitarian aid consistently flowed to Syria, this could have led to intelligence-sharing by Moscow and Washington to go after Syrian militant groups they both oppose. The ceasefire deal suffered two blows in the last week. On Saturday, the U.S.-led coalition against the Islamic State militant group carried out a lethal air raid on Syrian government troops. Washington said it hit Syrian forces by mistake. Assad said in his interview he believed the strikes, which he said lasted over an hour, were deliberate. On Monday, the ceasefire foundered further with an attack on an aid convoy that killed around 20 people and that Washington blamed on Russian planes. Russia denied involvement. In another sign of the Syrian government's determination to gain territory, it evacuated more rebel fighters from the last opposition-held district of Homs, which would complete the government's recapture of the central city, now largely in ruins. LONG, PAINFUL, DISAPPOINTING MEETING Foreign ministers emerged from a meeting in New York having failed to find a way back to a ceasefire, though the United State's Kerry said he was willing to keep trying if Russia came back with new ideas. "It was a long, painful, difficult and disappointing meeting," the U.N. Syria envoy Staffan de Mistura told reporters after the meeting of the International Syria Support Group, which includes about two dozen major and regional powers. Assad, helped by Russian air power and Iranian-backed militias, has steadily tightened his grip on the opposition-held eastern areas of Aleppo this year, achieving a long-held goal of fully encircling it this summer. Capturing the rebel-held half of Syria's largest city would be the biggest victory of the war for the government side, which has already achieved its strongest position in years thanks to Russian and Iranian support. The United Nations announced that it was resuming aid deliveries to rebel-held areas on Thursday following a 48-hour suspension to review security guarantees after Monday's attack on the aid convoy near Aleppo. Assad has appeared as uncompromising as ever in recent weeks, reiterating his goal of taking back the whole country. The government's main focus has been to consolidate its grip over the main cities of western Syria and the coastal region that is the ancestral homeland of Assad's Alawite sect. (Additional reporting by Lisa Barrington and Angus McDowall in Beirut, Marwan Makdesi in Homs, Michael Nienaber in Berlin, Stephanie Nebehay, Marina Depetris and Tom Miles in Geneva, Suleiman Al-Khalidi in Amman, and Denis Dyomkin, Parisa Hafezi, John Irish, Michelle Nichols and Lesley Wroughton in New York; Writing by Tom Perry and Arshad Mohammed; Editing by Peter Graff and Howard Goller)
- The Telegraph
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have been “demoted” on the Royal family’s website to bottom billing alongside the Duke of York.
In order to ensure his children have a 'normal' upbringing, Prince William reportedly told royal staff they can't wear this particular item of clothing.
"Movie-making is very hard work over a very long period of time that consists of so many moments of joy slapped up against an equal number of feelings of self-loathing," the Oscar winner said.
Ian strengthened into a major hurricane Tuesday as its track moved east into Central Florida.
“I feel so good turning 50, and this is about expressing that sense of energy and optimism.”
A slight shift was also made on the pages for Prince William and Kate Middleton, the new Prince and Princess of Wales
- In The Know by Yahoo
A dentist has stunned her TikTok viewers after revealing that the majority of people are using mouthwash incorrectly. The post Dentist stuns viewers with revelation about mouthwash appeared first on In The Know.
Kate Middleton Will Receive the Majority of Queen Elizabeth’s Jewelry Collection—But There’s a Catch
The royal family has been sorting through Queen Elizabeth’s affairs ever since she passed away at age 96. They already confirmed that her corgis have found a new home, but the world is wondering what will happen to Her Majesty’s jewelry collection. Tim Graham Picture Library/Getty Images Kate Middleton will reportedly receive the “lion’s share” of Queen Elizabeth’s accessories. However, King Charles’s wife Camilla Parker Bowles (aka the Queen Consort) will get to pick first. Max Mumby/Indigo/Get
- Seahawks Wire
On the bright side, their ex isn't doing much better.
In Katie Nicholl's upcoming book "The New Royals," she writes that Queen Elizabeth intervened when Meghan Markle clashed with a royal staffer.
- The Advocate
Buttigieg did not come to play.
- Rolling Stone
The Kremlin chooses to escalate the war in Ukraine with a dangerous gamble, but the signs of an unraveling are becoming clearer both at home and abroad
Week two saw Sarah Michelle Gellar tearfully cheering on her best friend Selma Blair, Teresa Giudice dedicating her dance to her late father and one couple's chemistry raising eyebrows
- Miami Herald
The 68-year-old man visited the cemetery “almost every morning between 6:14 a.m. and 6:18 a.m. with his current wife,” publication says.
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Originally Wanted to Move to a "Suite of Apartments" in Windsor Castle
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry wanted to move into Windsor Castle before the Queen offered them Frogmore Cottage, which was a "big deal."
- Fox News
Prince Harry was 'obsessed' with Archie's private birth, Meghan thought ordeal was 'barbaric': royal expert
Prince Harry was "obsessed" with keeping his first child's birth a secret from the media and public. Archie was born to the Duke and Duchess of Sussex in May 2019.
- Business Insider
A man who helped get migrants on DeSantis flights to Martha's Vineyard says he feels betrayed: 'I never ever, ever knew it was a governor' behind the stunt
"My only will was to help people," a man who said he helped recruit migrants to get on flights bound for Martha's Vineyard told CNN.
- The Gainesville Sun
See where Hurricane Ian is, where it's headed and how it may affect Gainesville.
Shania Twain is 57 years old and feeling fabulous — so fabulous that she decided to celebrate her latest music video, “Waking Up Dreaming,” with a few topless snapshots. It’s her way of letting fans know she loves this season in her life. The beautiful thing about Twain’s gorgeous new photos, with her shiny white […]
Adults Are Sharing The Now-Discontinued Foods From Childhood They Would Give Anything To Eat Again, And I Haven't Thought About Ritz Bits S'mores In Sooo Long
"One of my earliest memories is when I was 5 years old, sharing one of these with my childhood best friend. I would do anything to find them again now."View Entire Post ›