US: Congo warlord Ntaganda turned himself in

EDMUND KAGIRE and MELANIE GOUBY
March 18, 2013
View photos
FILE - In this Jan. 16, 2009 file photo, Bosco Ntaganda, seated center, holds a press conference with Congo Interior Minister Celestine Mboyo, right, in Goma, Congo, as rebel leader Ntaganda agreed to work with the Congolese government. The government of Rwanda said Monday, March 18, 2013, that Ntaganda, who had been on the run in neighboring Congo, had turned himself in to the United States Embassy in Kigali, the capital of Rwanda. Ntaganda has become one of Africa's symbols of impunity. Despite an outstanding warrant from the International Criminal Court, which indicted him on war crimes in 2006, he became a general in the Congolese army, living in an upscale villa and playing tennis in his spare time.(AP Photo/T.J. Kirkpatrick, File)

KIGALI, Rwanda (AP) — A U.S. State Department spokeswoman says that a wanted Congolese warlord turned himself in to the U.S. Embassy in Rwanda after years on the run.

Bosco Ntaganda walked into the U.S. Embassy in Kigali on Monday and asked to be transferred to the International Criminal Court at The Hague, Netherlands, where he is wanted for war crimes.

State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland says the U.S. is now consulting with the Rwandan government.

The ICC first indicted Ntaganda in 2006 but relies on member nations to arrest suspects and Congo did not apprehend him.

The allegations against Ntaganda date back to crimes allegedly committed a decade ago in northeastern Congo. However, human rights groups say Ntaganda has been implicated in other attacks on civilians in eastern Congo in recent years.