John Oliver's 15 minute monologue on the protests in Ferguson in the wake of the shooting of Michael Brown is exactly as angry and hilarious as you might want it to be. On last night's episode of his HBO series, Last Week Tonight with John Oliver, he took on everything from the way Ferguson's police chief and mayor have handled the situation to police militarization to how two teenagers in Saginaw County, Michigan, deal with seeing one of those giant tank-like vehicles on the streets of their town.
Here's just a taste: "No one should ever be allowed to say there is no history of racial tension here, because that sentence has never been true anywhere on Earth."
We won't spoil the best part for you, but Oliver and his team have dug up just what one police department put in the document requesting military-grade equipment. It's as ridiculous as you might expect.
See Vox's comprehensive roundup of what's known and what's not yet known about Michael Brown's death and subsequent events in Ferguson.
More from vox.com:
- Video: Reporter says cop threatened to shoot him for filming Ferguson protests
- How we'd cover Ferguson if it happened in another country
- Google Maps is tracking everywhere you go
- One sentence that explains why local police don’t need military weapons
- An economist and a personal finance expert teach you money
- Watch Capt. Ron Johnson's riveting speech at Ferguson rally