The existence of UFOs had been “proved beyond reasonable doubt,” according the head of the secret Pentagon program that analyzed the mysterious aircrafts.
In an interview with British broadsheet The Telegraph published on Saturday, Luis Elizondo told the newspaper of the sightings, “In my opinion, if this was a court of law, we have reached the point of ‘beyond reasonable doubt.’”
“I hate to use the term UFO but that’s what we’re looking at,” he added. “I think it’s pretty clear this is not us, and it’s not anyone else, so no one has to ask questions where they’re from.”
Since 2007, Elizondo led the government program, the Advanced Aerospace Threat Identification Program, investigating evidence of UFOs and alien life. It was shuttered in 2012.
Its existence was first reported by The New York Times last week.
Elizondo was not able to discuss specifics of the program, but told The Telegraph that there had been “lots” of UFO sightings and witnesses interviewed during the program’s five years.
Investigators pinpointed geographical “hot spots” that were sometimes near nuclear facilities and power plants and observed trends among the aircrafts including lack of flight surfaces on the objects and extreme manoeuvrability, Elizondo told The Telegraph.
"There was never any display of hostility but the way they manoeuvred, in ways no-one else in the world had, you have to be conscious something could happen,” he said.
Most popular: Why Do Scented Candles Cost So Much?
Despite Pentagon funding running out in 2012, Elizondo oversaw UFO work for another five years before resigning in October 2017 out of frustration with the secrecy of the investigation. He had pushed for videos of the possible alien sightings to be made public so people could see the footage.
In his resignation letter to Defense Secretary Jim Mattis, he asked, “Why aren’t we spending more time and effort on this issue? There remains a vital need to ascertain capability and intent of these phenomena for the benefit of the armed forces and the nation."
Elizondo told The Telegraph he’d like to see someone prop up the probe again.
"I'd say bolster the programme. We want Nasa to find life on different planets, but we have highly educated pilots here and they're seeing something they can't understand."
More from Newsweek