U.S. State Dept. and Utah congressional team to hold ‘passport fairs’ across Beehive State

SALT LAKE CITY (ABC4) — Getting a passport these days can be quite a pain, but the State of Utah and the U.S. State Dept. are teaming up from Feb. 13-17 to host a series of “passport fairs” to help citizens register.

The high demand for passports, mixed with a long wait time for them to arrive, has led the State Dept. to create passport fairs nationwide to give travelers additional places to apply. There will be five such fairs across the Wasatch Front between Feb. 13 and 17 at the following locations by appointment only:

Tuesday, Feb. 13 — Ogden

Wednesday, Feb. 14 — West Jordan

Thursday, Feb. 15 — Orem

Friday, Feb. 16 — Salt Lake City

Saturday, Feb. 17 — Lehi

  • 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. — Kiln Building

  • 2701 North Thanksgiving Way #100, Lehi, UT 84043

Utah currently does not have a U.S. passport agency. There are only 26 such locations nationwide, and the closest to Utah is in Denver, Colo. By going to a passport agency, a traveler can get their passport far quicker than by applying at a local county office or library.

“Bringing a passport agency to Salt Lake City is still a top priority for Senator Romney, but these passport fairs are an opportunity to help Utahns in the meantime,” stated a press release from Romney’s office.

US passport application delays surge amid ‘unprecedented’ demand

While you can apply for a U.S. passport at a number of locations across Utah, these aren’t passport agencies, but rather “passport acceptance facilities.” These differ from agencies in that your application still has to be sent to a passport agency to be processed.

Next week’s “passports fairs” will be temporary acceptance centers that will give some Utahns an additional place to apply. While they likely won’t be any faster than going to another local acceptance center, they will give Utahns more options to get an appointment.

What do I need to get a passport?

First, you need to fill out an application at the State Department’s website. You’ll need:

  • Evidence of your U.S. citizenship, such as a previous passport or your birth certificate.

  • A recent photo (with no glasses worn) at least 2 inches by 2 inches taken within the last six months on a white background.

  • A copy of your valid photo I.D. on a white 8.5″ x 11″ standard paper, black and white, with both sides of your I.D. on a single side.

  • Your fees.

If you’re getting a passport for minors aged 16 and 17, parental consent is required, and the teens must appear in person.

For the latest news, weather, sports, and streaming video, head to ABC4 Utah.