By Mohammed Ghobari KUWAIT (Reuters) - Talks aimed at ending Yemen's war opened in Kuwait on Thursday, with Kuwait's top diplomat appealing to both sides to "turn war into peace" after more than a year of conflict which has killed more than 6,200 people and caused a humanitarian crisis. Yemen's foreign minister warned against high expectations from the U.N.-sponsored talks, which brought together the Houthi group and its General People's Congress party allies with the Saudi-backed government of President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi. The talks, originally scheduled to start on Monday, were delayed over accusations by the Houthi group of truce violations and disagreements over the agenda for the negotiations. Kuwait's foreign minister Sheikh Sabah al-Khalid al-Sabah, in an opening speech at Bayan Palace, urged Yemenis to "turn war into peace and backwardness into development". The talks are based on U.N. Security Council resolution 2216 which calls for the Houthis to withdraw from areas they seized since 2014 and hand heavy weapons back to the government, U.N. special envoy to Yemen Ismail Ould Cheikh Ahmed said. "The choice today is one of two options: a safe homeland that ensures security for all of its citizens... or remnants of a land whose sons die everyday," Ould Cheikh Ahmed said in an opening speech. The talks are expected to focus on creating a more inclusive government and restoring state authority over the country, which is now divided between the Houthis and Hadi's administration. The war has caused a major humanitarian crisis in Yemen, the poorest country in the Arabian Peninsula. Apart from the more than 6,200 killed, the United Nations says some 35,000 people have been wounded and more than 2.5 million people displaced. The fighting has also allowed the militant Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula and Isalmic State to consolidate their presence in the country next door to the world's top oil exporter. The United States and the Saudi-led coalition welcomed the start of the talks. "We urge the parties to fully engage in good faith in order to end the military conflict immediately and to return to a peaceful political process," State Department spokesman John Kirby said in Washington. The Saudi-led coalition spokesman, Brigadier-General Ahmed Asseri, speaking to Dubai-based al-Arabia Television, said: "Everybody knows that the way out in the end is political, and the issue will not end through military means, and the coalition has no desire to ... prolong the situation." FIVE POINTS Ould Cheikh Ahmed outlined five points which he said were derived from U.N. Security Council resolution 2216 as the basis for the talks, officially dubbed as "consultations". These included withdrawal from cities seized by the Houthis since the crisis began in 2014, forming a more inclusive government and handing over heavy weapons to the new government. The chief Houthi negotiator, Mohammed Abdul-Salam, registered his delegation's objections to what he said were continuing air strikes by the Saudi-led coalition and to the five-point agenda outlined by Ould Cheikh Ahmed, saying they were not clear enough. The crisis began in September 2014 when the Iran-allied Houthis seized the capital Sanaa. A Saudi-led Arab alliance intervened last year, launching a campaign of mostly air strikes against the Houthis in support of Hadi's forces. The Houthi group and the GPC had accused the Saudi-led coalition and Hadi supporters of failing to honor a truce that began on April 10, and refused to send their negotiators to Kuwait until the truce was consolidated. They agreed to join the talks following intervention by the U.N. Security Council permanent members and U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon. Yemeni Foreign Minister Abdel-Malek al-Mekhlafi, speaking before the talks, said the government delegation would do all it could to make the talks a success. "The Houthis and Saleh's party, by refusing to arrive on the agreed time, and by putting a series of conditions and by saying they reserve the right to boycott sessions if their conditions are met -- all of these have lowered the ceiling of expectations," Mekhlafi told Reuters. The meeting adjourned until Friday afternoon. (Additional reporting by Mahmoud Harby in Kuwait, Mostafa Hashem in Cairo and Lesley Wroughton in Washington, writing by Sami Aboudi; editing by Dominic Evans and Richard Balmforth)
Trump was so distracted by grievances that he never got round to returning secret documents the FBI found at Mar-a-Lago: NYT
Sources told The Times the procedures for returning documents were ignored during the chaotic final days of Trump's presidency.
- The Courier Journal
Narratives around this disaster have run amuck with some going so far as to name the people dealing with it as the harbingers of their own destruction
- The Wrap
Jolie had leveled accusations of physical and verbal abuse by her ex-husband in 2016
- CBS News
"They took a great, a great person who wanted to help the community and wanted to better us as people," friend and fellow coach Heith Mayes said.
According to a doctor, one change could've saved Princess Diana's life.
- Yahoo Life
Jennifer Aniston is already missing her sunny beach vacation. The actress shared a few photos in a trip recap to Instagram on Monday.
- The Daily Beast
Photo Illustration by Elizabeth Brockway/The Daily Beast/GettyIn a recent interview with Russian state media outlet TASS, the head of the Russian Foreign Ministry’s North American Department, Aleksandr Darichev, said that in the event the U.S. designates Russia a state sponsor of terrorism, it would represent “a point of no return” in relations between the two countries. Speaking on behalf of the country that ruthlessly invaded its smaller neighbor and is continually being accused of human right
Trump attempts to use a Truth Social post to make a legal request for the DOJ to give Mar-a-Lago-raid documents back
Trump seemed to attempt to give his social-media network legal force, writing, "By copy of this TRUTH," alongside a request for documents back.
The Fox News host admitted that voters could reject Trump if he runs again.
- Kansas City Star
“My brain is having a very hard time trying to comprehend how absurdly different the basement is from the rest of this gorgeous house.”
- Rolling Stone
Blake Masters in Arizona, Mehmet Oz in Pennsylvania, and Ron Johnson in Wisconsin are going to have a little less help than they would have hoped this fall
Giuliani says Trump's first reaction to the FBI raid on Mar-a-Lago was to boast about the size of the crowd supporting him outside
"You see the number of people in front of Mar-a-Lago already?" Giuliani recalled Trump saying in the aftermath of the FBI raid at Mar-a-Lago.
- The Hill
The Trump Organization’s chief financial officer is coming close to reaching a plea deal in a case investigating whether he funneled off-the-books income to himself and other executives at the company, but the potential deal reportedly does not bring prosecutors any closer to their main target: former President Trump. The New York Times reported Monday,…
Fox News host wonders aloud whether Trump could have tried to sell highly classified material to the Russians or Saudis
Eric Shawn asked whether Trump had tried to sell or share the documents found by the FBI at Mar-a-Lago with "the Russians" or "the Saudis."
- USA TODAY Sports - Golfweek
What if Willy Z would've hit off the rocks next to the 11th green.
Ron Johnson 'not overly concerned' about top secret information being leaked from classified documents found at Mar-a-Lago
He said he thought Mar-a-Lago was a "pretty safe place," adding that he was "not overly concerned" if classified documents were kept there.
- E! News
Jennifer Aniston gave a look inside her recent beach vacation with Jason Bateman and his wife Amanda Anka. See moments from their tropical retreat that has Jennifer asking to go back.
- Yahoo Entertainment
Kristin Chenoweth's naughty answer stuns Steve Harvey on 'Family Feud': 'I'm a good Christian girl, forgive me'
Tony winner Kristin Chenoweth was out raising money for her charity on "Celebrity Family Feud," Sunday night.
Former US intel officer says Mar-a-Lago is a 'nightmarish environment' for secret documents and that they needed to be taken back
Mar-a-Lago was a constant worry for intelligence officials and an obvious target for foreign spies, experts have said in the wake of the FBI's raid.
- E! News
Rebecca Gayheart and Eric Dane took a trip to St. Tropez with their daughters. Learn about the “#goodtimes” on their family vacation.