Tubtim Howson will return from Thailand to U.S. to face charges in hit-and-run death of MSU student

Tubtim “Sue” Howson, the driver accused of fatally striking a Michigan State University student last month and then fleeing to Thailand, will return to the United States to face charges, Thai officials announced.

Ben Kable was walking home from a New Year’s party early the morning of January 1 when the deadly hit-and-run occurred. His father, Michael Kable, told the Detroit News his son, a senior at Michigan State University, initially tried to take an Uber, but the driver kicked him out on Rochester Road, a dark and narrow street with few street lamps and no sidewalk.

Howson allegedly struck Kable just before 6 a.m., but she never alerted law enforcement. Instead, she purchased a one-way ticket to Thailand — where she was born and where her sister lives — and flew out two days later. According to a newly-unsealed FBI complaint, she “allegedly told a close associate after the crash that she thought she killed somebody and was going back to Thailand.

“When encouraged to turn herself into police, Howson allegedly stated, ‘no cops, no cops.’”

Howson stayed at a spot in Chon Buri until the deadly crash started making headlines, according to the Bangkok Post. She then moved to a room in Suan Phueng district of Ratchaburi, where she was located by authorities on Feb. 10.

Howson claimed she initially believed she hit a deer, but admitted to seeing a human body as she drove away.

“I did not think I would run away, but I was very shocked. I tried to call the police but my hands were shaking. I could not do anything,” she said.

Howson will likely arrive in Oakland Township by Sunday, Thai officials said at a Wednesday press conference. She’s facing charges including failure to stop at the scene of a crime resulting in serious impairment or death as well as a federal charge for fleeing the country.

“We are relieved and very happy that Ben will finally get some justice,” said Michael Kable said. “We are very grateful for the tireless work of Deputy Mike David and (Oakland County) Sheriff Bouchard to solve this crime. Also so much gratitude and respect for the FBI and Congressman John James for pursuing justice.