In Donald J. Trump's first military operation as President, a raid in Yemen, dozens of civilians (including children) and a U.S. Navy Seal were killed. U.S. military officials told Reuters that Trump approved the operation without sufficient intelligence, ground support, or adequate backup preparations. Despite all the casualties, do you know who's still at large after the strike? The intended target.
Bizarrely, Trump ordered the strike in the early morning hours last Sunday, but he wasn't in the Situation Room when it happened.
“The President was here in the residence. He was kept in touch with his national security staff,” White House spokesman Sean Spicer told reporters.
“Secretary Mattis and others kept him updated on both the raid and the death of Chief Owens as well as the four other individuals that were injured. So he was kept apprised of the situation.”
Further, the morning after the attack, the first thing Trump did was tweet angrily about the New York Times.
Somebody with aptitude and conviction should buy the FAKE NEWS and failing @nytimes and either run it correctly or let it fold with dignity!
- Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) January 29, 2017
This is unusual for several reasons.
According to David Sanger, chief Washington correspondent for The New York Times, the President usually goes to the Situation Room and is presented with what they call a full package for the attack. “There’s a legal assessment of the legal authorities under which they’re doing these,” he told PBS.
“There’s a risk assessment to the commandos who would be doing it. There is a risk assessment of what could happen to civilians who are in the area.”
“It looks like President Trump got briefed on it, by and large, at a dinner, not in the Situation Room, not with legal advisers around."
“I think one of the questions, given how many things have gone wrong, is: would it have been different if he had been in the Situation Room and perhaps had a different set of briefings,” he added.
Follow Laura on Twitter.
You Might Also Like