• Home
  • Mail
  • Flickr
  • Tumblr
  • News
  • Sports
  • Finance
  • Celebrity
  • Answers
  • Groups
  • Mobile
  • More
Yahoo
    • Skip to Navigation
    • Skip to Main Content
    • Skip to Related Content
    News Home
    Follow Us
    • US
    • World
    • Politics
    • Tech
    • Science
    • Odd News
    • ABC News
    • Yahoo Originals
    • Katie Couric
    • Matt Bai

    Trump invites mother of Benghazi victim to next debate

    Hunter Walker, Sarah Boxer and Andrew Romano
    Yahoo NewsOctober 17, 2016

    Donald Trump invited the mother of a Benghazi victim to sit in a prominent position at the next debate.

    Pat Smith, the mother of a State Department IT consultant who was killed in the 2012 Benghazi terrorist attacks, is planning to accept the Republican nominee’s invitation to the debate, which will be held Wednesday night in Las Vegas.

    During a Monday interview at her home in San Diego, Smith told Yahoo News that the Trump campaign reached out to her earlier that day and invited her to the debate. The Trump campaign confirmed the invitation.

    “I think I’m going to be in the front row. But I’m not sure,” said Smith.

    Smith spoke in July at the Republican National Convention, where she delivered an emotional speech laying blame for her son’s death squarely at the feet of Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton.

    “I blame Hillary Clinton personally for the death of my son,” Smith said then. “Personally.”

    Pat Smith, mother of Benghazi victim Sean Smith, speaks atthe Republican National Convention in Cleveland. (Photo: J. Scott Applewhite/AP)
    View photos
    Pat Smith, mother of Benghazi victim Sean Smith, speaks at the Republican National Convention in Cleveland. (Photo: J. Scott Applewhite/AP)

    In her convention speech, Smith accused Clinton of lying to the families of the four Americans who were killed in the 2012 attack on the U.S. diplomatic facility in Benghazi, Libya. Smith said Clinton, secretary of state at the time, falsely attributed the attacks to a spontaneous protest over an anti-Islamic video rather than a planned assault. The speech, which left some Republican convention delegates in tears, concluded with Smith saying Clinton should go to prison.

    In a statement sent to Yahoo News about Smith’s attendance at the debate, retired Lt. Gen. Michael Flynn, a top Trump campaign adviser and surrogate, suggested that Smith’s presence at the debate might push Clinton to give the families of victims a “solid answer” as to why the U.S. government did not successfully rescue all of its personnel in Benghazi.

    “Hillary said ‘What difference does it make’ — the difference was four lives were lost in Benghazi, and the families have still never had a solid answer from Hillary Clinton as to why we allowed this to happen. Hopefully Wednesday these families will get their answer,” Flynn said. (During a 2013 congressional hearing, Clinton had said “What difference does it make” while discussing the back and forth over whether the attacks were coordinated.)

    Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton following the second presidential debate at Washington University in St. Louis, Oct. 9, 2016. (Photo: Patrick Semansky/AP)
    View photos
    Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton following the second presidential debate at Washington University in St. Louis, Oct. 9, 2016. (Photo: Patrick Semansky/AP)

    During a Democratic primary debate in March, Clinton was asked about Smith’s accusation of lying and called it “absolutely wrong.” Clinton and her campaign have repeatedly defended her handling of the attack and dismissed a Republican-led congressional investigation into it as a “purely partisan exercise” that “found no wrongdoing” by Clinton.

    In her conversation with Yahoo News, Smith said she had one goal for the debate.

    “I want to look in Hillary’s eyes, and have her lie to me again,” said Smith.

    Both campaigns have tried to use guests in prior debates, but Trump has more aggressively tried to rattle Clinton with the tactic.

    The Clinton campaign invited billionaire Mark Cuban, a relentless Trump critic, to the first debate on Sept. 26. At the second debate on Oct. 9, Trump brought three women who accused Clinton’s husband, former President Bill Clinton, of sexual abuse or harassment. Trump also brought Kathy Shelton, who as a child was the victim in a 1975 case in which Clinton defended a man who was convicted of unlawfully fondling Shelton. The four accusers participated in a press conference, spoke to reporters in the spin room and sat in prominent positions during the debate.

    “We’re not surprised to see Donald Trump continue his destructive race to the bottom,” Clinton’s campaign said at the time in response to Trump bringing the four women to the debate.

    In conversations with Yahoo News last week, a high-level Trump campaign source cited Shelton and said they planned to bring out other figures from the Clintons’ past in the final weeks of the election.

    “They’re probably going to be introduced to some people who have met them,” the source said, adding, “Who knows who’ll be introduced to the American public.”

    Popular in the Community

    • Ex-‘Power Rangers’ Actor Ricardo Medina Jr. Pleads Guilty to Killing His Roommate

      464 messages2%78%20%
    • President Trump guts agencies in 'America first' budget

    • Innocent Photo of ‘One Skinny Woman and One Curvy Woman’ Stirs Controversy

      1723 messages9%60%31%
    • Photos of the day - March 16, 2017

      5 messages16%67%17%
    • President Trump proposes $1.1 trillion budget plan

    • Oklahoma lawmaker arrested on child prostitution charges

      1734 messages4%68%28%
    • Trump may have discussed classified info on Fox News, top Dem on House intel panel charges

      2163 messages3%65%32%
    • 5 siblings hoping to be adopted together receive overwhelming response

      189 messages14%66%20%
    • Brazil pension reform protests

      16 messages4%73%23%
    • Explosive device discovered at Port Authority Bus Terminal, suspect arrested

      3 messages0%100%0%
    • Americans are quitting jobs at the fastest pace in 16 years

      1071 messages7%72%21%
    • McDonald's Twitter account goes rogue, blasts ‘disgusting’ Trump

      6571 messages7%61%32%
    • TV Anchor Calls Out Viewer for Criticizing Her ‘Revealing’ Wardrobe

      246 messages4%73%23%
    • Americans take to the air against ISIS

      24 messages1%75%24%
    • Cuts to poverty programs are 'as compassionate as you can get,' Trump budget chief says

      12 messages0%85%15%
    • Intel senators: No indication Trump Tower was surveilled

      434 messages2%65%33%

    Cuts to poverty programs are ‘as compassionate as you can get,’ Trump budget chief says

    sandy: Meals On Wheels OR weekly jaunts to Mar-a-Lago? You decide which is more compassionate.

    Join the Conversation
    1 / 5

    158

    • Kris Jenner Prepared to Take On Blac Chyna as Rob Kardashian Seeks Dual Custody of Baby Dream: Source

      251 messages3%73%24%
    • Teen Model Killed by Train During Photoshoot

      288 messages5%67%28%
    • Abandoned Cold War warships laid to rest in Landévennec

      19 messages7%74%19%
    • Spicer defends Trump's wiretapping claims, despite having no evidence

      23 messages8%71%21%
    • Indiana's March Madness: Why the Hoosiers' firing of Tom Crean was a surprise

      157 messages4%81%15%
    • McDonald's employee jumps through drive-through window to rescue unconscious police officer in Florida

      3431 messages19%65%16%
    • Barack Obama to spend a month in French Polynesia

      562 messages4%79%17%
    • Photos of the day - March 15, 2017

      15 messages4%82%14%
    • March 16 daily White House press briefing

      1 messages
    • Moscow paid $45,000 for Flynn’s 2015 talk, documents show

      5359 messages3%73%24%
    • Alabama kidnapping victim escapes by jumping out of car trunk

      137 messages6%77%17%