There’s nothing like diving into a bed made with clean, bright white sheets. It’s instantly restorative and makes you feel surprisingly virtuous. The problem? Once you’ve slept on those white sheets for a while, they’re not quite so white anymore. In fact, they take on a slightly unpleasant yellow-y grey color. No matter how much you wash them, sweat, lotions and makeup take a seemingly irreversible toll.
Though bleach may seem like the logical choice to get those whites bright again, it actually does the opposite. Bleach has a tendency to yellow cotton, instead of whiten it. So you want to steer clear!
Miracles do happen, however! Before you head out to the store to buy a new set, we’ve got a bleach free alternative for you that’s sure to put the bright back in your white. Try it once, and you’re sure to be amazed!
- Basin full of hot water
- ¼ cup Baking soda
- 1 cup Distilled white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Dish soap
- Juice of a lemon
- Tongs or other long utensil
1. Fill a basin big enough to contain your sheets with hot water.
2. Add baking soda, vinegar, dish soap and the juice of a lemon to the water and mix to combine using your tongs or any other long utensil.
3. Fully submerge your sheet in the water and leave it to soak for 30 minutes.
4. Wring the sheet out and throw it in the wash as you normally would.
Related on Yahoo Makers: How to Fold a Fitted Sheet. Yes, Really.
Related Video on Yahoo Makers:
More on Yahoo Makers:
- Cleaning Your Home This Way Once, Will Make It Easier Every Other Time
- This Mom Turns Her Kids’ Meals into Amazing Works of Art
- 9 Cleaning Tasks You Can Tackle in 5 Minutes