By Tom Perry and John Davison BEIRUT (Reuters) - An aid convoy was hit in Aleppo province, the United Nations said on Monday, as the Syrian military declared that a week-long ceasefire was over. The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights monitoring group said the attacks were carried out by either Syrian or Russian aircraft, adding that there had been 35 strikes in and around Aleppo since the truce ended. Fourteen Syrian Arab Red Crescent volunteers were killed, Elhadj As Sy, secretary general of the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies, told a U.N. summit. At least 18 of 31 trucks in a U.N. and Syrian Arab Red Crescent (SARC) convoy were hit along with an SARC warehouse, said U.N. spokesman Stephane Dujarric. The convoy was delivering aid for 78,000 people in the hard-to-reach town of Urm al-Kubra, he said. "Our outrage at this attack is enormous," said the U.N. Special Envoy for Syria, Staffan de Mistura, in a statement emailed by his spokeswoman. "The convoy was the outcome of a long process of permission and preparations to assist isolated civilians." The developments appeared to signal that the latest effort to halt Syria's 5-1/2-year-old civil war was close to collapse. Syria's army said the seven-day truce period had ended. It accused "terrorist groups," a term the government uses for all insurgents, of exploiting the calm to rearm while violating the ceasefire 300 times, and vowed to "continue fulfilling its national duties in fighting terrorism in order to bring back security and stability". A local resident told Reuters by phone that the trucks were hit by about five missile strikes while parked in a center belonging to the Syrian Red Crescent in Urm al-Kubra, a town near Aleppo. The head of the center and several others were badly injured. Moscow supports Syrian President Bashar al-Assad with its air force. The Syrian military could not immediately be reached for comment. KERRY'S GAMBLE The week-old attempt at a ceasefire, negotiated by U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry and Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov, could be the final attempt by U.S. President Barack Obama to negotiate an end to Syria's civil war. Kerry called on Moscow to halt Syrian government airstrikes, including on aid convoys, and indicated that the United States had not received official word from Russia that the ceasefire deal was dead. "The Russians made the agreement. So we need to see what the Russians say," Kerry said before meeting Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Nayef in New York. "But the point – the important thing is the Russians need to control Assad, who evidently is indiscriminately bombing, including of humanitarian convoys." The United Nations said that only Washington and Moscow could declare it over, as they were the ones who originally forged the deal. The air strikes appeared particularly heavy in insurgent-held areas west of Aleppo, near the rebel stronghold of Idlib province. And in eastern Aleppo, a resident reached by Reuters said there had been dozens of blasts. "It started with an hour of extremely fierce bombing," said Besher Hawi, the former spokesman for the opposition's Aleppo city council. "Now I can hear the sound of helicopters overhead. The last two were barrel bombs," he said, the sound of an explosion audible in the background. Abu al-Baraa al-Hamawi, a rebel commander, said the most intense bombardments had taken place in areas west of Aleppo, the same area where the aid convoy was hit. "The regime and Russians are taking revenge on all the areas," he said. Russian and U.S. officials met in Geneva on Monday to try to extend the truce, and the International Syria Support Group - the countries backing the Syria peace process - was scheduled to meet on Tuesday in New York to assess the agreement. RETURN TO THE BATTLEFIELD But like the Syrian army, the rebels spoke of returning to the battlefield. The coordinator of Syria's main opposition group said on Monday that the ceasefire never took hold and called on the world to put an end to the "criminality" of the Syrian government. "There was no ceasefire to begin with for us to say whether it failed or succeeded," Riad Hijab, general coordinator of the High Negotiations Committee, told reporters. Aid was delivered to the besieged town of Talbiseh in Homs province on Monday, the Red Cross said, for the first time since July. The convoy brought in food, water and hygiene supplies for up to 84,000 people, it said. But most aid shipments envisaged under the truce have yet to go in. The United Nations said it had received government approval to reach nearly all the besieged and hard-to-reach areas where it sought to bring aid, but access to many areas was still constrained by fighting, insecurity and administrative delays. Already widely violated since it took effect, the ceasefire came under added strain at the weekend when Russia said jets from the U.S.-led coalition against Islamic State killed more than 60 Syrian soldiers in eastern Syria. Assad called that incident "flagrant aggression". Washington called it a mistake. The ceasefire is the second negotiated by Washington and Moscow since Russia joined the war in September 2015. But while it led to a significant reduction in fighting at the outset, violence has increased in recent days and aid has mostly failed to arrive. Plans to evacuate several hundred rebels from the last opposition-held district of Homs city have also overshadowed the agreement, with rebels saying it would amount to the government declaring the ceasefire over. The Homs governor said the plan had been postponed from Monday to Tuesday. Washington and Moscow back opposite sides in the war between Assad's government and the insurgents, while both oppose the Islamic State jihadist group. Russia joined the war a year ago on Assad's side, tipping it firmly in his favor. (Additional reporting by Nikolaj Skydsgaard in Copenhagen, John Davison, Lisa Barrington and Ellen Francis in Beirut, Lesley Wroughton, Yara Bayoumy, John Irish and Michelle Nichols and David Brunnstrom at the United Nations, Stephanie Nebehay and Tom Miles in Geneva, and Jonathan Landay in Washington; Writing by Tom Perry, Peter Graff and Warren Strobel; Editing by Giles Elgood and Howard Goller)
- The Daily Beast
Hannah McKay - WPA Pool/Getty ImagesPrince Harry was so unhappy with his life as a working royal that Meghan’s work in helping him find an escape route should be recognized, a source has said.In his new book, Courtiers: The Hidden Power Behind the Crown, which is being serialized by The Times of London, Valentine Low cites “a surprising source—someone who knows Harry well but remains upset about what Harry and Meghan did”—as saying: “There is a part of me that thinks Meghan did Harry the greates
Meghan Markle threatened to break up with Prince Harry if he didn't release a statement confirming their relationship, according to a new book
According to a new book by Valentine Low that is slated to be released in October, Harry was "freaking out" about the situation.
A former palace insider said Meghan Markle believed she would be 'the Beyoncé of the UK,' new book claims
The claim was made by a former palace insider in Valentine Low's upcoming book, "Courtiers: The Hidden Power Behind the Crown."
- Fox News
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle reunited with the royal family for Queen Elizabeth II’s funeral. But royal expert Neil Sean says the Duke and Duchess of Sussex's future with the royal family remains uncertain.
Trump has called several GOP donors who contributed money to Ron DeSantis asking them to stop boosting the Florida governor: report
Former President Trump has tracked appearances made by DeSantis, while also monitoring the governor's poll numbers, per The Washington Post.
- The Daily Beast
Chris Jackson/Getty ImagesWelcome to this week’s edition of Royalist, The Daily Beast’s newsletter for all things royal and Royal Family. Subscribe here to get it in your inbox every Sunday.Meghan, the “narcissistic sociopath”Things got so bad between Prince Harry, Meghan Markle and their royal staff that they called her a “narcissistic sociopath.” They also reportedly said on repeated occasions: “We were played.”The fresh revelations are contained in the second extract from the London Times roy
King Charles III Is Reportedly Planning To Do a Drastic Choice That May Cut Ties Altogether With Prince Harry & Meghan Markle
It’s no secret that the relationship between Prince Harry and Meghan Markle and the rest of the British Royal family has been, erm, strained, to put it delicately. It seems that royal fans are learning new information left and right on what is going on between the years-long rift, with everyone itching to know when […]
- The Daily Beast
Photo Illustration by Thomas Levinson/The Daily Beast/GettyFormer President Donald Trump has learned time and again that the best way to kill legal action is to first delay it. And while Trump’s “special master” gambit initially showed promise in that regard, the tactic may have actually backfired and put him on a fast-track collision course with the federal government he once led.Two separate court decisions last week have empowered the FBI to move swiftly in its investigation against Trump for
Tropical Storm Ian is expected to be a major hurricane and could impact Florida by next week.
- Fox News
King Charles first 'major test': Punish or protect Harry by snubbing his and Meghan Markle's kids, expert says
King Charles III has a decision to make regarding the children of his son Prince Harry and Meghan Markle. No definitive statement has been given regarding their use of prince and princess.
Prince William and Kate Middleton realized they needed to 'up their game' after Meghan Markle's first royal engagement, according to a new book
According to Katie Nicholl's book "The New Royals," the Fab Four's relationship transitioned after Meghan Markle's first royal engagement in 2018.
Trump's claim he could declassify files with his mind doesn't "demonstrate much intelligence of any kind," the lawmaker said.
Sources claim Udoka's long-time partner knows the identity of the female staffer. The alleged mistress was reportedly involved in Long's move to Boston.
- The Hill
Former top Pence aide: Trump claim that presidents can declassify docs by thinking about it ‘absurd’
Former top Pence aide Marc Short on Friday rejected a recent claim from former President Trump that presidents can declassify documents by thinking about it, calling the notion “absurd.” “That’s absurd, obviously,” Short told CBS News. “I think it would make it very difficult for the intelligence community to have a classification system if that was…
- Roll Tide Wire
A wild Week 4 of college football leads to some big-time changes to the USA TODAY Coaches Poll!
An advisor to the January 6 committee said Mark Meadows' texts provide 'irrefutable' proof of a comprehensive plot to overturn the 2020 election
Denver Riggleman, a former GOP congressman, told "60 Minutes" that Mark Meadows received texts about the alternate electors plot days after the election.
- Yahoo Sports
Aaron Rodgers takes credit for failed Bucs 2-point conversion, puts Tampa video board operator on blast
"Sometimes the Jumbotron shows things they probably shouldn't show, even at home."
- Fox News
Princess Diana’s and Meghan Markle’s differences in treatment of staff are ‘stark,’ royal expert says
Duchess of Sussex Meghan Markle is facing criticism for the way she treated royal staff when living at the palace, in comparison to Princess Diana -- who was described as "kind."
- Women's Health
'The White Lotus' cast member Alexandra Daddario walked the red carpet at the 2022 Emmy Awards in a cream-colored one-shoulder dress. Read what fans said about the bold look.
- USA TODAY Sports - Golfweek
Charlie Woods shoots career-low round with dad Tiger on the bag at Notah Begay III Junior National Golf Championship
Tiger was on the bag for Charlie's new low round.