Boris Johnson to announce 'fundamental changes' to terrorist prison release system
Police shot dead a man in Streatham, south London, on Sunday afternoon after three people were injured in a terror attack. Here's what we know so far:
The incident happened just before 3pm on Streatham High Road when a man attacked people with a knife.
One man, in his 40s, is no longer considered to be in a life-threatening condition following treatment. A woman, in her 50s, who had non-life threatening injuries has been discharged from hospital. A second woman in her 20s, who received minor injuries believed to have been caused by glass following the discharge of a police firearm, continues to receive treatment.
The suspect was wearing a fake bomb vest.
He has been named as "knife-obsessed" convicted terrorist Sudesh Amman, who was released from his previous conviction after serving half his sentence.
Amman was under active counter-terrorism surveillance.
What we know so far
Terrorist's "life goals" were to die in a terror attack
Alexis Boon, then head of the Metropolitan Police Counter Terrorism Command, said at the time of his conviction that Amman had a “fierce interest in violence and martyrdom”.
He explained: “His fascination with dying in the name of terrorism was clear in a notepad we recovered from his home. Amman had scrawled his ‘life goals’ in the notepad and top of the list, above family activities, was dying a martyr and going to ‘Jannah’ - the afterlife.
“It’s not clear how Amman became radicalised but it is apparent from his messages that it had been at least a year in development. Whatever the circumstances, this case is a reminder of the need to be vigilant to signs of radicalisation and report it.”
Attacker named as Sudesh Amman
The Telegraph understands the attacker was a convicted terrorist called Sudesh Amman.
He was jailed in 2018 after admitting 13 terror offences and was described by police as "knife obsessed" and previously said he was "armed and ready" to carry out an attack.
The terrorist stockpiled a combat knife, air gun and black flag at his family home in London.
He was released halfway through his prison sentence.
He sent beheadings videos to his girlfriend and advised her to kill her "kuffar" parents.
Amman told her: "If you can't make a bomb because family, friends or spies are watching or suspecting you, take a knife, molotov, sound bombs or a car at night and attack the tourists (crusaders), police and soldiers of taghut, or western embassies in every country you are in this planet."
Amman was also found with a bomb-making manual.
Attacker was very recently released from prison
Whitehall sources told The Telegraph's Charles Hymas: "He had been very recently released from prison. He had been in prison for a terrorist offence, possession and distribution of extremist material.
"He came out towards the end of January. He was under very strict licence terms. He was also under surveillance and that is what allowed the police to do their job so quickly. It meant that it could have been worse than it was had he not been under this surveillance.
"There were concerns about this individual when he was in prison - around things he was saying - but there were no powers available to any of the authorities to keep him behind bars.
"He had reached the automatic halfway point, halfway release point in his sentence and there was nothing that could be done to keep him locked behind bars."
It is thought he would not be caught by the Government's plans for longer sentences for terrorists and the worst violent and sex offenders, as his offence would not be sufficiently serious.
Government sources confirmed that this would now be reviewed with the prospect of tougher sentencing for terrorists who might not be directly involved in plots.
The source added: "This is why there need to be changes brought forward because the public will look at this case and say: 'Why was this individual not kept not kept behind bars?' The PM shares that view."
Streatham locals face a night in the cinema
Officers at the scene said stranded residents are being offered temporary accommodation inside the Odeon cinema in the cordon.
They added that workers at Lambeth Council are inside looking after those affected.
Boris Johnson: Terror policy to change after attack
Boris Johnson has said he will announce plans on Monday for "fundamental changes to the system for dealing with those convicted of terrorism offences" following the terror-related incident in south London.
In a statement, the Prime Minister said: "My thoughts are with the injured victims and their loved ones following today's horrific attack in Streatham.
"I want to pay tribute to the speed and bravery of the police who responded and confronted the attacker - preventing further injuries and violence - and all of the emergency services who came to the aid of others.
"An investigation is taking place at pace to establish the full facts of what happened, and the Government will provide all necessary support to the police and security services as this work goes on.
"Following the awful events at Fishmonger's Hall in December, we have moved quickly to introduce a package of measures to strengthen every element of our response to terrorism - including longer prison sentences and more money for the police.
"Tomorrow, we will announce further plans for fundamental changes to the system for dealing with those convicted of terrorism offences."
Female victim reportedly discharged from hospital
A reporter from ITV said he saw her leave the hospital in Tooting surrounded by her family
— Ivor Bennett (@IvorBennett) February 2, 2020
Locals tried to save the lives of those who were stabbed
Our reporter on the ground Camilla Turner has detail about the bravery of witnesses who put pressure on the wounds of the stab victims despite at the time believing there was a bomb threat.
Nardos Mulugeta, 52, mechanical engineer and local resident said:
"I heard the gunshots. After 2 or 3 minutes a police car and van arrived. People were attending to a victim on the floor, it was a man lying on the floor by the pub [The White Lion pub]. He was white and in about his late 30s. He had a big open wound on the right side of his stomach. It was scary. He was getting pale and losing a lot of blood. Before police arrived people were using their clothes to put pressure on the wound and others were talking to him to keep him awake.
"Armed police were there but there was no emergency ambulance service until half an hour later. I saw an air ambulance after about 15 minutes it needed to land. The police with the guns were doing the first aid. They had medical equipment to help the man on the floor. The police were shouting "get back, get back", I think because they thought there was a bomb.
"They were asking 'did anyone get stabbed?' The police were not sure how many people were stabbed. Then after a few minutes a woman was saying ' I've been stabbed in the back' and she knelt down on the ground. She was in her late 30s or early 40s. She was white and English. People put pressure on the wound and shouted for police to come. More police cars and vans arrived. They were doing everything. They were giving first aid, neutralizing the guy, getting people away. They did a really good job. The guy could have injured 30-40 people if the police weren't so quick."
Prime Minister and Home Secretary in Number 10
The two received are receiving a briefing from Scotland Yard.
A senior officer leaving Number 10 said he had a "positive meeting".
He added: "It's safe to say we believe this was an isolated incident, officers on the scene acted remarkably quickly."
Dominic Cummings, Boris Johnson's advisor, was also seen entering Downing Street.
Suspect was wearing a hoax bomb
DAC Lucy D’Ors said that the "bomb" was a hoax.
"At approximately 1400hrs on Sunday, 2 February two people were stabbed in Streatham High Road, Lambeth.
"As part of a proactive Counter Terrorism operation, armed officers were in immediate attendance and shot a male suspect, who was pronounced dead at the scene. A third person also received minor injuries - believed to have been caused by glass following the discharge of the police firearm.
"A device was found strapped to the body of the suspect and specialist officers attended.
"Cordons were put in place and it was quickly established that this was a hoax device.
"Three victims have been taken to south London hospitals. One man is being treated as life-threatening, one woman has non-life threatening injuries and another woman has minor injuries.
"My thoughts are with the victims and their loved-ones at this time.
"The situation has been contained and officers from the Met’s Counter Terrorism Command are now leading an investigation into the incident. The incident was quickly declared as a terrorist incident and we believe it to be Islamist-related.
"However as you would expect, officers continue to work in the area to ensure there is no continuing danger to the public and that all evidence is gathered. Streatham High Road remains closed at this time, and cordons are in place. We will reopen these as soon as we can.
"We would like to thank the numerous members of the public who assisted officers and ambulance staff this afternoon following a very confusing and alarming incident.
"Public safety is obviously our top priority and to reassure the public we will be enhancing police patrols in the area.
"I would ask anyone with information, images or footage of the incident that this be shared with our investigation team. Image and video can be shared via the UK Police Image appeal website at www.ukpoliceimageappeal.com .
"Anyone with information that could assist with the investigation can call police, in confidence, on 0800 789 321. In an emergency call 999.
"I would also like to reiterate our earlier pleas for common sense and restraint in circulating pictures and videos of this incident – including images of the officers involved and of the victims.
"I would also ask the public to continue to remain vigilant and report any concerns they have to police."
Suspect known to police
It is understood the man shot dead by police was under active counter terrorism surveillance
Met police latest: Victim in life threatening condition
The force tweeted: "Three people are known to have been injured in the #Streatham attack earlier this afternoon. One person is at hospital in a life-threatening condition. We are in the process of informing their family."
The London Ambulance Service (LAS) said it had treated three patients for injuries on Streatham High Road and taken them to hospital.
Graham Norton, LAS strategic commander, said the first medics had arrived at the scene in four minutes after being called at 1.58pm.
Forensics on the scene
Police: terrorist thought to be wearing a bomb
This video shows a policeman evacuating a Streatham cafe, saying: "We've got to evacuate I'm afraid...there's been a terrorist incident down there."
A cafe worker at Life Café Restaurant asked for half an hour more time.
The police officer responded: "Madam, a terrorist has been shot dead just down there, they've got a possible IED vest on them, which is a bomb, if you want to stay here for half an hour and put peoples' lives in danger, then be my guest.
"Please listen to me and please make your way out of the shop."
— Lou Lou (@louloupov) February 2, 2020
Witness says the man was wearing suspicious vest police said may have been a bomb
Karker Tahir, who works in a local barber shop, told Sky News:
"It was this afternoon in the time I was working at my barber shop and suddently this guy he was walking and basically running on the pavement with a sort of vest on or something, I don't know exactly what it was.
"And then there were a few police officers with a guy and they kept saying to him 'stop, stop'.
"It was quite a shock, then they had to shoot him more than two or three times.
"This thing happened here in Streatham, I would never expect that.
"It's quite frightening and shocking. But thanks to the armed police response that was here on time and everything was in control.
"After they shot him down they had to say leave immediately because he has some, I don't know, maybe bomb or something, and then you have to evacuate.
"There were a lot of people, a lot of kids around, on a Sunday this high street is a very busy area.
"After that, I have seen that the police in police uniform walked to the body and this is when he sees he has something on it and this is when he says to us we have to leave and evacuate the entire street, we immediately left the area.
"They said this was an armed police officer with uniform, he came after the undercover police who was already at the scene and said we had to leave the place. It was like a movie, it was so quick, it was a panic.
"He had like sort of a vest, but I wouldn't know what was in the vest, it was a light colour.
"When he was shot he was still alive two or three minutes, he was looking up and down but no one could get close to him because of what he was carrying on him.
"He was alive for at least two three minutes and he put his head up and unfortunately nobody wanted to get closer because he had a vest."
Woman 'stabbed in the back'
Nardos Mulugeta, 52, a mechanical engineer who lives in Streatham, said he heard gunshots before seeing one victim lying in the street.
He told PA:
"I heard a shot and then there was a 20-second gap. Then there were three or four shots together.
"I went over and I saw the first victim, a male victim on the ground, near the White Lion Pub, and people were helping him.
"Then five minutes later a woman came over and said I've been stabbed too in the back. And then people starting helping her.
"I saw one body laying down further away. He was face-down between Argos and Iceland. It's really scary."
An eye-witness, who gave his name only as Matthew, said he was in a vape shop near the scene on Streatham High Road when he heard gunshots.
"I heard pop, pop, pop, pop, pop: five shots.
"Then I saw a body on the pavement.
""What got to me was that there was another guy with two massive holdalls, shouting very loudly in Arabic.
"I can't believe no one challenged that bloke. I didn't see what happened to him."
A 200 yard stretch of the A23 Streatham High Road remains cordoned off, and a large police presence- including firearms officers armed with machine guns - remain at the scene.
Police "crashed into someone's front garden" on way to scene
Our reporter Camilla Turner is on the scene.
She spoke to Anne Marie O'Leary, age 42, journalist and local resident, who said: "I went into the leisure centre to pick up my children and when I came out there were police vans everywhere. One of the police cars crashed into someone's front garden on a street by Streatham Common. It was an unmarked police car but it still had its siren on. It cut up a small blue car. All the airbags (in the police car) went off. There was a lot of panic and commotion." She says police car crash was on streatham common north, near the junction with Hopton road.
Attacker reportedly stole a knife
Kiranjeet Singh, the owner of Low Price Store on Streatham High Road, told The Times his brother Jagmon saw the terrorist steal a £3.99 kitchen knife from his shop before removing the packaging and stabbing a man and a woman.
Witness says ambulance took half an hour to come
Author and presenter Dave Chawner said he waited for half an hour for an ambulance to come and help the injured.
He said: "I had to stay with someone who’d just been #stabbed in #Streatham for 30 minutes before a single ambulance arrived. "I’m just over 1 mile from a hospital - I’m not having a go at anyone, but that’s not right "I just hope he made it".
Update on status of injured victims to come
The Met Police said: "We believe there are two injured victims. We await updates on their conditions. The scene has been fully contained. We will issue more information when possible."
Prime Minister and Home Secretary react
Thank you to all emergency services responding to the incident in Streatham, which the police have now declared as terrorism-related. My thoughts are with the injured and all those affected.
— Boris Johnson (@BorisJohnson) February 2, 2020
I am being kept updated by @metpoliceuk on this afternoon’s incident in Streatham, which has been declared terrorist-related. My first thoughts are with the victims, our brave police and emergency services and their families.
— Priti Patel (@patel4witham) February 2, 2020
Witnesses evacuated from their homes
Shocked people enjoying a relaxed Sunday on the Streatham High Road were evacuated from their homes, restaurants and a cinema.
Local rector Anna Norman-Walker at St Leonard's church said: "Currently situated in the #Streatham Rectory with Police tape both sides of us....prayers for our wonderful Police who are doing such a remarkable job in a frightening situation #shooting"
Richard Mustonen-Smith, 59, a response pastor for Ascension Trust, has lived in the area all his life. He said: "I'm shocked it's happened in Streatham. I've been here all my life. We're always getting accidents down here but not this.
"My grandson was in the Odeon and they got told to go out the back because there was a bomb. They got them to go out of the back of the cinema. They were there to watch a film.
"When it's a member of your family so close to you you don't expect it. You're always worried about your family being on the streets but this is even worse.
"I heard two people got stabbed and apparently one man was shouting Allahu Akbar but people thought he was just a crazy man, so he got away. Apparently he had two rucksacks."
Megan Tobeck said: " We’ve been evacuated, we have no idea what happened, but we’re safe, no idea when we’ll get back in, thoughts are with the people directly affected."
Another, Sarah Jayne, posted: " My sister was in #Streatham, heard gunshots, she couldn’t get home as the police shut the road down, she’s currently bunkering down in a pub "
A man who was in WHSmith at the time said police were pushing pedestrians back, saying there was a suspect bomb. He heard three gunshots, which sounded like fireworks. “So scary. Just sounded like three small fireworks bangers going off. A lady and her son ran in saying someone had been shot,” he said. “Police pushed pedestrians back saying there’s a suspect bomb.” A woman who was in Iceland at the time was escorted out the back door. “I was so scared, never seen this in my life,” she said.
Pictures from the scene
Update on victims
We believe there are two injured victims. We await updates on their conditions.
The scene has been fully contained.
We will issue more information when possible.
— Metropolitan Police (@metpoliceuk) February 2, 2020
Full details of the attack are yet to emerge but police are issuing updates on Twitter
The Met links the attack to terror.
In a tweet, the Metropolitan Police said the incident was terrorism-related
#INCIDENT A man has been shot by armed officers in #Streatham. At this stage it is believed a number of people have been stabbed. The circumstances are being assessed; the incident has been declared as terrorist-related. Please follow @metpoliceuk for updates
— Metropolitan Police (@metpoliceuk) February 2, 2020