By Irene Klotz CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. (Reuters) - SpaceX said on Friday it would shift Florida flights to a nearly completed second site after damage to its launch pad on Thursday from the explosion of a rocket belonging to the space services company run by Elon Musk. The Federal Aviation Administration has sent seven people to Florida to supervise investigation of the disaster, said FAA spokesman Hank Price. The agency, which oversees U.S. commercial rocket launches, requires that SpaceX’s flights be suspended pending results of the probe. Any sign of rocket malfunction could require changes throughout the SpaceX fleet. After a SpaceX rocket exploded in June 2015, the program was paused for six months while defective brackets were replaced in Falcon 9 launch vehicles. Damage to SpaceX’s Launch Complex 40 at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station is still being assessed. "The pad clearly incurred damage, but the scope has yet to be fully determined," SpaceX said in a statement late Friday. Pictures of the launch site after the explosion showed the top portion of a launch pad tower, which is used to raise the rocket and support it vertically, had canted over. The U.S. Air Force said in a statement that damage appeared to be contained within SpaceX's launch complex. The cause of the accident, which destroyed a $200 million communications satellite, is under investigation. Meanwhile, more than 70 missions aboard Falcon rockets, worth more than $10 billion, are on hold. With its launch pad likely facing major repairs, SpaceX said it would use a second Florida site, called 39A, which is located a few miles north at NASA’s Kennedy Space Center and was used for space shuttle missions. The pad is on schedule to be operational in November, SpaceX said. The company had planned to use the pad for the first time later this year for a test flight of its new Falcon Heavy rocket. NASA spokesman Michael Curie said in an email that the site could be used for commercial and government flights, and SpaceX President Gwynne Shotwell in a May conference said one customer, SES SA of Luxembourg, had expressed interest in flying from the historic launch pad. Other customers slated for Falcon 9 launches from Florida in 2016 are EchoStar Corp of Englewood, Colorado, South Korea’s KT Sat and NASA. In addition, SpaceX has contracts to fly satellites for Iridium Communications Inc, Taiwan’s National Space Organization and Seattle-based Spaceflight from its West Coast launch site at Vandenberg Air Force Base in California. "Our number one priority is to safely and reliably return to flight for our customers," SpaceX said. The last time a launch pad sustained heavy damage was in October 2014 when an Orbital Antares rocket exploded seconds after liftoff from Wallops Island, Virginia. The explosion sent debris falling back onto the launch site. The pad is due to return to service this month after $15 million worth of repairs. The FAA had required that SpaceX buy $12 million in liability insurance and $13 million policy to cover any damage to government property during pre-launch activities, according to a Commercial Space Transportation License the FAA issued to SpaceX in January 2016 for six commercial satellite launches in Florida. SpaceX did not respond to questions about what additional insurance it has, if any, to cover damage to its own equipment. United Launch Alliance, a partnership of Lockheed-Martin Corp and Boeing Co that flies its Atlas rockets at a pad next to SpaceX's, said on Friday it had inspected its facility and found no damage or concerns. SpaceX’s next launch had been scheduled for mid-September from California. Its next flight from Florida was targeted for October. That California flight could go ahead as soon as the rocket is deemed ready, but the pad cannot substitute for the one in Florida. SpaceX uses Vandenberg to launch satellites requiring polar orbits, while Florida is better situated for satellites heading into equatorial orbits and for cargo ships flying to the International Space Station for NASA. SpaceX was founded by Musk in 2002, and the Hawthorne, California-based company began launching its Falcon 9 rockets in June 2010. Since then, it has racked up 27 successful flights and one launch accident in June 2015 that destroyed a load of cargo headed for the space station. (Reporting by Irene Klotz; Editing by Meredith Mazzilli and Andrew Hay)
- The Daily Beast
Tennessee Department of CorrectionA woman who shared a kiss with a prisoner during a visitation in Tennessee has been charged with murder after the inmate died shortly after their exchange.Rachel Dollard was taken into custody over the weekend by special agents from the Tennessee Department of Correction (TDOC) and the Dickson County Sheriff’s Department, the TDOC confirmed in a statement on Tuesday. She is accused of smuggling drugs into the Turney Center Industrial Complex.Dollard is facing ch
- Good Housekeeping
'Today' show co-hosts Hoda Kotb and Savannah Guthrie posted heartwarming Instagrams dedicated to each other amid rumors that the two are feuding.
The "Tonight Show" host mocked the president for a move he made as he signed a climate and health care bill into law.
- NBC News
An Oval Office incident from 2019 perfectly illustrates Trump's approach to state secrets, say ex intel officials
What happened in the Oval Office on Aug. 30, 2019, perfectly illustrated President Donald Trump's approach to state secrets, say former intel officials.
- NY Daily News
Donald Trump Jr. got so worked up speaking about the FBI’s search to recover confidential documents from his father’s home last week that it even caused critics of the former president’s namesake to wonder about his well-being. The Atlantic writer Molly Jong-Fast posted the 44-year-old scion’s rapid-fire rant, which included a nonstop stream of loosely connected grievances running the gamut ...
- Yahoo Life
Florence Pugh reflects on body shaming after wearing a sheer dress: 'They were so angry that I was confident'
The 26-year-old actress opens up about being subjected to public scrutiny.
Former Rudy Giuliani associate Lev Parnas outlined the branches of the 'Trump Crime Family' on Twitter
Parnas posted a tweet chain highlighting how Giuliani, his former boss, was Trump's "consigliere," and the roles each Trump child played.
Trump was so distracted by grievances that he never got round to returning secret documents the FBI found at Mar-a-Lago: NYT
Sources told The Times the procedures for returning documents were ignored during the chaotic final days of Trump's presidency.
'It's over' for the Trump Organization if its CFO Allen Weisselberg pleads guilty, legal analyst and ex-prosecutor says
The New York Times reported on Monday that Weisselberg is reaching a plea deal, in a case that involves 15 felony charges against him.
- CBS News
"They took a great, a great person who wanted to help the community and wanted to better us as people," friend and fellow coach Heith Mayes said.
- Raleigh News and Observer
“I wish I could be as brave as this raccoon!”
- The Wrap
Jolie had leveled accusations of physical and verbal abuse by her ex-husband in 2016
According to a doctor, one change could've saved Princess Diana's life.
- USA TODAY Sports - Golfweek
Props to Smith for his genuine gesture.
- In The Know by Yahoo
Some social media users love the new item, but others claimed it was strange and disappointing.
- The Hill
Rep. Val Demings (D) leads Sen. Marco Rubio (R) by 4 percentage points in Florida’s Senate race, according to a poll released Tuesday. The poll, released by the University of North Florida’s Public Opinion Research Lab, shows Demings with the support of 48 percent of surveyed registered voters who said they would vote in the…
- MMA Junkie
Jake Paul hasn't been shy about calling out the UFC roster but admits there's one fighter he wouldn't want to box.
Donna D’Errico is defying the haters who think she’s “too old” to wear a bikini. The “Baywatch” star announced that she has joined OnlyFans, the subscriber-only social media site, joining her former costar Carmen Electra on the platform. D’Errico, who is 54, shared an explanation for why she started a page on OnlyFans in a […]
- The Telegraph
Until lately, there was a tendency to roll our eyes about Marlon Brando rejecting his best actor Oscar for The Godfather in 1973. Couldn’t he just play ball, show up and say something nice, like anyone else? What was he trying to prove, sending in the Apache actress Sacheen Littlefeather to refuse the award for him, as a protest against the brutal treatment of Native Americans in Hollywood’s output?
- The Hill
Rep. Liz Cheney (Wyo.), a onetime ally of Donald Trump who became one of his most ardent Republican critics, is projected to lose her primary on Tuesday after a long-shot bid to survive defying the former president and his influence over GOP voters. NBC News and CBS News both called the race shortly after 10…