Several students at Boston’s Tobin School ingest edibles, 1 taken to hospital

One of the students at a Boston K-8 school who ingested edibles Monday is receiving further medical care at a local hospital, according to the school’s principal.

Boston police said they received a call about the incident at the Maurice J. Tobin School in Roxbury shortly after 12:00 p.m.

In a letter to parents, Principal Natasha Halfkenny said multiple middle school students ingested what appeared to be a cannabis-infused food item, more commonly known as an edible.

Halfkenny said school staff immediately notified Boston police and Boston Public Schools Safety Services of the incident.

The school nurse saw the impacted students, whose families were immediately notified. Boston Emergency Medical Services was also notified of the incident and one student was transported to a hospital as a precaution, according to Halfkenny.

“We are deeply concerned about the recent reports of students ingesting edibles. We are encouraging parents, guardians, and caregivers to take an active role in helping us ensure our students are aware of the risks associated with consuming these products and that they understand the potential consequences, including the potential for serious health issues,” said a Boston Public Schools spokesperson. “We are grateful to our school staff and first responders for their quick work in getting our students seen by medical professionals as quickly as possible.”

School staff will conduct searches as outlined in the district’s student search policy if necessary, said Halfkenny. An investigation into the incident is ongoing.

Any Tobin School parents or guardians who have questions or concerns about the incident are encouraged to call Halfkenny at 617-635-8393.

This is a developing story. Check back for updates as more information becomes available.

Download the FREE Boston 25 News app for breaking news alerts.

Follow Boston 25 News on Facebook and Twitter. | Watch Boston 25 News NOW