Senate officials shut complex while shooter sought

LAURIE KELLMAN
September 16, 2013
Senate officials shut complex while shooter sought

WASHINGTON (AP) — Senate officials shut down their side of the U.S. Capitol complex Monday while authorities searched for a potential second suspect in the Navy Yard shootings.

Senate Sergeant at Arms Terrance Gainer said people could move around the buildings but could not leave or enter. He said he had no information to suggest the Senate, its members or staff were in danger but took the step out of an abundance of caution.

"We have too little information on the possibility of additional shooters," Gainer said in an email. In a memo to Senate personnel, Gainer said the policy would remain in effect "until we deem the situation safe in the neighboring community."

Earlier in the day, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., announced that the shootings a little over a mile south of the Capitol had prompted him to adjourn the Senate and postpone votes until Tuesday.

The House side of the Capitol complex, which is closer to the Navy Yard, remained open.

Authorities said as many as two gunmen opened fire Monday morning inside the nearby Washington Navy Yard, killing at least 12 people in an attack on office workers at the heavily secured military installation in the nation's capital. One gunman was dead and police hunted for a second possible attacker.