Cleveland’s loss in the 2017 NBA Finals has led Lakers officials to hear more whispers about James’ interest in a final chapter in Los Angeles, where his wife would like to live full time, per sources.
“His wife wants to live there” is the oldest rumor in the book, and it’s usually unsubstantiated.
Is that the case here? Let’s review what we know:
- LeBron owns a house in Los Angeles, and he and his wife, Savannah James, reportedly love it there.
- Even while LeBron was still under contract with the Heat, Savannah publicly expressed her affection for Akron, Ohio.
- Still, when LeBron first discussed returning to the Cavs, her initial reaction, as he tells it, was, “F— that.” That might have been more about partnering again with Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert than the locale.
- She reportedly got on board with a return to Cleveland at some point. LeBron obviously signed with the Cavs, not the Clippers, who were in the chase.
- LeBron, who was rumored to feel he met his obligation to Cleveland by delivering a title, apologized to Savannah for taking her for granted as he focused on basketball.
So, will LeBron repay all he has done for her by signing with the Clippers or Lakers in 2018? Is she actually content in Ohio?
I don’t know, but his family is important to him and one of the factors he’ll take into consideration. So, these tea leaves matter in tracking his future.