Waking up with puffy eyes is an annoyance for anyone. Puffy eyes are caused due to the accumulation of fluids around your eyes. Lack of sleep, crying, activities of previous day including intake of salty food or even keeping your head down for too long could cause puffiness of eyes.
Most of us try to cover up their puffy eyes behind sunglasses or by using concealer. However, you can also ditch your puffy eyes with some tried and tested home remedies.
- Tea bags work very well for puffy eyes. You need to soak the bags in hot water for 3-5 minutes and set them out to cool a bit before you use them on your eyes. You can also moisten teabags in cold water and patch them on your puffy eyes.
- You can also cool or soothe your eyes with potato or cucumber slices. These are especially helpful if you have puffy eyes because you have stayed awake the whole night and notice bags under your eyes.
- Using egg whites also helps reduce puffiness.
- You can even soak cotton balls in ice water and use it on your eyes or splash some cold water on your face.
- You may choose from cold circles of strawberries, chilled spoons, ice cubes wrapped in a towel, or even just a cool washcloth to lessen the swelling or puffiness.
- Papaya and curd mixed together also soothe and lighten the under eye area.
- Whatever you choose to do, avoid rubbing your eyes as it aggravates the puffiness.
Recommended Read: Wonder Foods to Take Care of Your Eyes
Stay Hydrated and Sleep Well
Your eyes require sufficient rest from all the stress they endure during the hours you are awake. If you suffer from puffy eyes a lot, maybe your eyes are not getting proper rest. You should sleep for 7-8 hours every night. Also you must check your sleeping position. Sleep with your head raised; propping your head up keeps fluids from accumulating under your eyes thus reducing puffiness.
Recommended Read: Habits that Can Destroy Your Looks
It is also important to stay hydrated and drink plenty of fluids but ensure that you don’t drink too much water or fluids before you go to bed. Drinking too much alcohol also causes puffy eyes so control your consumption and try to drink healthy drinks such as fresh fruit juices. If you use your computer extensively for work, rest your eyes frequently.
Treat Allergic Reactions
If you have tried all these home remedies and nothing seems to work, it is likely that you are suffering from an allergic reaction and puffy eyes are the primary symptom. Speak with a doctor to find out more.
Recommended Read: 7 Health Benefits of Drinking Red Wine