CONCORD, N.H. (AP) — New Hampshire prosecutors, eager for information that can help them resolve the suspicious death of an 11-year-old girl, have set up a reward fund for people who want to donate money.
The Attorney General's Office said $5,000 offered by an anonymous donor last month has started up the fund. It supplements $25,000 in reward money offered by the FBI last month during the search for Celina Cass, of Stewartstown.
Celina was last seen alive at her house July 25. Her body was recovered from the Connecticut River about a quarter-mile from her home near the Canadian border a week later. An autopsy failed to pinpoint the cause and manner of her death and investigators hope to have the results of toxicology tests in the next week or two.
Senior Assistant Attorney General Jane Young, who is heading the investigation, said Thursday that calls offering donations have come from as far away as New Mexico.
She said more than 580 tips have been received and followed through. Young said at least a dozen police officers remain active on the investigation, the FBI is a "critical partner," and Vermont authorities continue to help. She said her office has been in discussion with other agencies to help with a forensic investigation.
"We are still asking the public for any help — anything they may have seen or heard — during July 25, July 26, or the days thereafter," Young said, adding that "any piece of information could be the piece of the puzzle that we need to solve this tragedy of Celina's death."