Report: Officials miss signs of Calif. boy's abuse

LOS ANGELES (AP) — An 8-year-old boy who died last week after allegedly being badly beaten had remained in the house where the abuse occurred despite six investigations by Los Angeles County social workers over the past decade.

The Los Angeles Times reports (http://lat.ms/1797rKH) county documents show social workers appeared to miss numerous warnings signs at the home. The boy had written a note saying he was thinking about suicide and his teacher told authorities he often appeared bruised and battered.

The boy's mother and her boyfriend have been charged with murder. Gabriel died at a hospital last Friday. He had a fractured skull, broken ribs and two teeth knocked out.

County documents obtained by the paper show the mother's boyfriend allegedly said he beat the boy repeatedly for lying and being dirty.

___

Information from: Los Angeles Times, http://www.latimes.com