Reddit has come to Xbox One through an app called ReddX, Microsoft announced today, bringing the social networking/news sharing website directly to a video game console for the first time.
The ReddX app, available today in North America, functions much like Reddit does in a Web browser, Xbox Live's Larry Hryb said, and can be snapped to the side of the screen while playing another game or using another app in Xbox Live. ReddX serves a customized main page and allows users to view all subreddits in the domain; images, videos and animated gifs are supported within the app.
Additionally, ReddX will come with "unique media achievements named after some of the Internet's favorite memes."
"Using ReddX also allows you to upvote or downvote a thread with just the touch of a button, as well as easily add your comments using your Xbox One controller, media remote or Xbox SmartGlass on your smartphone, tablet or laptop," Hryb wrote. "If you find an image that's just too good to pass over, ReddX lets you save a photo to your profile or set any image as the background for your ReddX app."
In addition to ReddX, MTV will launch an app on Xbox One this week, and Twitch.tv will add new features to its app. More details are available at the link.
More from polygon.com:
- Here's why I won't be playing Journey on PlayStation 4
- Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain coming to Steam (update)
- Mass surveillance, Watch Dogs and the militarized police: When strapping cameras on people is a good idea
- A new Silent Hill is coming from Hideo Kojima and Guillermo del Toro
- The new Silent Hill is designed to 'make you shit your pants,' Kojima says
- P.T. is a new interactive horror game for PlayStation 4 and you can try it now (update)