Queen Elizabeth II has announced a "period of transition" for Prince Harry and Meghan Markle after they revealed their plans to step back from the royal family.
Harry and Meghan last week released a shocking statement announcing they "intend to step back as 'senior' members of the royal family," planning to "work to become financially independent" and "balance our time between the United Kingdom and North America." This prompted an emergency meeting Monday with Harry, Prince Charles and Prince William; Meghan was expected to call in.
The queen in a statement after the meeting said the royal family is "entirely supportive" of Harry and Meghan's decision, although "we would have preferred them to remain full-time working members of the royal family." She also announced it has "been agreed that there will be a period of transition in which the Sussexes will spend time in Canada and the UK."
"Final decisions" on these "complex matters" will be made "in the coming days," the statement also reads. Previously, a statement from Buckingham Palace released after Harry and Meghan's said "discussions" with the two "are at an early stage" and these "complicated issues ... will take time to work through."
Reports last week suggested Harry released his statement with Meghan against the queen's wishes. The queen reportedly told Harry he would need to receive support from Prince Charles, who requested a written proposal, before she would provide her blessing, but according to The New York Times, he didn't do so prior to the announcement.
More stories from theweek.com
Bernie Sanders' appraisal of a woman's 2020 chances isn't shocking. It's conventional wisdom.
10 fake photos of Hurricane Sandy
Warren campaign tells supporters to seek 'de-escalation' in feud with Sanders