• Home
  • Mail
  • Flickr
  • Tumblr
  • News
  • Sports
  • Finance
  • Celebrity
  • Answers
  • Groups
  • Mobile
  • More
Yahoo
    • Skip to Navigation
    • Skip to Main Content
    • Skip to Related Content
    • Mail
    News Home
    Follow Us
    • US
    • World
    • Politics
    • Tech
    • Science
    • Odd News
    • ABC News
    • Yahoo Originals
    • Katie Couric
    • Matt Bai

    Prosecutor: Ga. murder case uncovers terror plot

    RUSS BYNUM
    Associated PressAugust 27, 2012
    View photos
    FILE - In this Dec. 12, 2011 file photo, U.S. Army Sgt. Anthony Peden, 25, left, and Pvt. Isaac Aguigui, 19, are led away in handcuffs after appearing before a magistrate judge at the Long County Sheriffs Office in Ludowici, Ga. Prosecutors say a murder case against the four soldiers in Georgia has revealed they formed an anarchist militia within the U.S. military with plans to overthrow the federal government, The Associated Press reports Monday, Aug. 27, 2012. (AP Photo/Lewis Levine, File)

    LUDOWICI, Ga. (AP) — Four Army soldiers based in southeast Georgia killed a former comrade and his girlfriend to protect an anarchist militia group they formed that stockpiled assault weapons and plotted a range of anti-government attacks, prosecutors told a judge Monday.

    Prosecutors in rural Long County, near the sprawling Army post Fort Stewart, said the militia group of active and former U.S. military members spent at least $87,000 buying guns and bomb components. They allege the group was serious enough to kill two people — former soldier Michael Roark and his 17-year-old girlfriend, Tiffany York — by shooting them in the woods last December in order to keep its plans secret.

    "This domestic terrorist organization did not simply plan and talk," prosecutor Isabel Pauley told a Superior Court judge. "Prior to the murders in this case, the group took action. Evidence shows the group possessed the knowledge, means and motive to carry out their plans."

    One of the Fort Stewart soldiers charged in the case, Pfc. Michael Burnett, also gave testimony that backed up many of the assertions made by prosecutors. The 26-year-old soldier pleaded guilty Monday to manslaughter, illegal gang activity and other charges. He made a deal to cooperate with prosecutors against the three other soldiers.

    Prosecutors said the group called itself F.E.A.R., short for Forever Enduring Always Ready. Pauley said authorities don't know how many members it had.

    Burnett, 26, said he knew the group's leaders from serving with them at Fort Stewart. He agreed to testify against fellow soldiers Pvt. Isaac Aguigui, identified by prosecutors as the militia's founder and leader, and Sgt. Anthony Peden and Pvt. Christopher Salmon.

    All are charged by state authorities with malice murder, felony murder, criminal gang activity, aggravated assault and using a firearm while committing a felony. A hearing for the three soldiers was scheduled Thursday.

    Prosecutors say Roark, 19, served with the four defendants in the 4th Brigade Combat Team of the Army's 3rd Infantry Division and became involved with the militia. Pauley said the group believed it had been betrayed by Roark, who left the Army two days before he was killed, and decided the ex-soldier and his girlfriend needed to be silenced.

    Burnett testified that on the night of Dec. 4, he and the three other soldiers lured Roark and York to some woods a short distance from the Army post under the guise that they were going target shooting. He said Peden shot Roark's girlfriend in the head while she was trying to get out of her car. Salmon, he said, made Roark get on his knees and shot him twice in the head. Burnett said Aguigui ordered the killings.

    "A 'loose end' is the way Isaac put it," Burnett said.

    Aguigui's attorney, Daveniya Fisher, did not immediately return a phone call from The Associated Press. Attorneys for Peden and Salmon both declined to comment Monday.

    Also charged in the killings is Salmon's wife, Heather Salmon. Her attorney, Charles Nester, did not immediately return a call seeking comment.

    Pauley said Aguigui funded the militia using $500,000 in insurance and benefit payments from the death of his pregnant wife a year ago. Aguigui was not charged in his wife's death, but Pauley told the judge her death was "highly suspicious."

    She said Aguigui used the money to buy $87,000 worth of semiautomatic assault rifles, other guns and bomb components that were recovered from the accused soldiers' homes and from a storage locker. He also used the insurance payments to buy land for his militia group in Washington state, Pauley said.

    In a videotaped interview with military investigators, Pauley said, Aguigui called himself "the nicest cold-blooded murderer you will ever meet." He used the Army to recruit militia members, who wore distinctive tattoos that resemble an anarchy symbol, she said. Prosecutors say they have no idea how many members belong to the group.

    "All members of the group were on active-duty or were former members of the military," Pauley said. "He targeted soldiers who were in trouble or disillusioned."

    The prosecutor said the militia group had big plans. It plotted to take over Fort Stewart by seizing its ammunition control point and talked of bombing the Forsyth Park fountain in nearby Savannah, she said. In Washington state, she added, the group plotted to bomb a dam and poison the state's apple crop. Ultimately, prosecutors said, the militia's goal was to overthrow the government and assassinate the president.

    Fort Stewart spokesman Kevin Larson said the Army has dropped its own charges against the four soldiers in the slayings of Roark and York. The Military authorities filed their charges in March but never acted on them. Fort Stewart officials Monday refused to identify the units the accused soldiers served in and their jobs within those units.

    "Fort Stewart-Hunter Army Airfield does not have a gang or militia problem," Larson said in a prepared statement, though he said Army investigators still have an open investigation in the case.

    "However, we don't believe there are any unknown subjects," he said.

    District Attorney Tom Durden said his office has been sharing information with federal authorities, but no charges have been filed in federal court. Jim Durham, an assistant U.S. attorney for the Southern District of Georgia, would not comment on whether a case is pending.

    What to Read Next

    • Photo Shows $20M That Feds Found Hidden in Bed

      1208 messages3%80%17%
    • Trump signs executive orders to advance construction of pipelines

      23 messages11%79%10%
    • Defense Secretary Mattis' first message to the troops tells you everything you need to know about his leadership style

      2280 messages11%70%19%
    • #2 of 10 Most Popular News Galleries of 2016: 9/11: Then and now - 15 years later

      977 messages5%57%38%
    • Paul Ryan says he sees "no evidence" to support President Trump’s claims of voter fraud

      200 messages4%71%25%
    • The Latest: Spicer cites 'studies' to back Trump voter claim

      2058 messages5%66%29%
    • Cervical Cancer Is Deadlier Than We Thought — Especially in Black Women

      541 messages4%64%32%
    • Donald Trump advances controversial pipelines: ‘I am to a large extent an environmentalist’ but ‘it’s out of control’

      1386 messages6%69%25%
    • #8 of 10 Most Popular News Galleries of 2016: Deadly attack at Istanbul's Ataturk Airport

      938 messages10%15%75%
    • Trump urges GM, Ford and Chrysler to keep jobs in the United States

      54 messages5%75%20%
    • Monica Lewinsky Speaks Up for Barron Trump as SNL Writer Is Suspended for Mocking the President’s 10-Year-Old Son

      3657 messages5%60%35%
    • Attempted Murderer ‘So Proud of Herself’ After Randomly Stabbing Nurse 21 Times

      2889 messages4%71%25%
    • LeBron James rips his Cleveland Cavaliers roster: 'We top-heavy as s***'

      455 messages4%69%27%
    • #10 of 10 Most Popular News Galleries of 2016: Stunning images from the 2016 National Geographic Nature Photographer of the Year contest

      184 messages17%69%14%
    • Trump reportedly asks Comey to stay on as FBI director

      59 messages5%76%19%
    • Trump signs order to move Keystone, Dakota pipelines forward

      2360 messages7%69%24%

    Israel plans 2,500 new settlement homes in occupied West Bank

    Nich: Looks like Obama was right. Israel just keeps on building settlements on what was to be a Palestinian state. They say they want a two state solution but they do not act like they want a two state solution. They just want more land for Israel. At least let's not make the US taxpayer pay for it. Stop giving Israel billions in US tax dollars.

    Join the Conversation
    1 / 5

    1.2k

    • Kendall Jenner Channels Risqué Audrey Hepburn With New Hairstyle

      87 messages6%73%21%
    • BlackRock CEO Larry Fink wants two things from Trump's tax plan

      73 messages4%80%16%
    • Protesting the Dakota Access pipeline

      2096 messages4%61%35%
    • Oscar Nominations 2017: 'La La Land' Leads

      1 messages
    • Ben Roethlisberger retiring? Uncertain 'if there’s going to be a next season'

      256 messages6%76%18%
    • Trump Asks James Comey to Stay On as FBI Director

      1392 messages5%72%23%
    • Lily-Rose Depp Was a Child Bride for the Chanel Couture Show

      38 messages7%67%26%
    • Warplanes pound Aleppo – Dozens dead

      1642 messages3%64%33%
    • Oscar Nominations 2017: Viggo Mortensen on 'Captain Fantastic' Nod

      2 messages11%89%0%
    • Judge Neil Gorsuch Emerges as Leading Contender for Supreme Court

      566 messages7%75%18%
    • Oscars: Record Six Black Actors Nominated, Diversity Improves After Last Year's #OscarsSoWhite

      1324 messages6%76%18%
    • Help
    • Privacy
    • Suggestions
    • About our Ads
    • Terms