After giving multiple warnings, police fired smoke and tear gas into protesters in Ferguson to enforce the midnight curfew.
At first, police moved in and demanded protesters disperse in "a peaceful manner." Over the loudspeakers, police said, "Failure to comply will result in arrest and/or other actions."
Police began slowly moving forward.
Some reporters pointed out the crowd is ethnically diverse.
Many of the protesters that are still here are white #Ferguson— Alice Speri (@alicesperi) August 17, 2014
*Update: Added a note about the conflicting reports of tear gas and smoke.
More from vox.com:
- Protesters met with hugs from police instead of tear gas tonight in Ferguson
- A change in police tactics after days of chaos in Ferguson
- Enough is enough in Ferguson
- An important St. Louis official is unhappy with tonight's policing changes
- 6 secrets to getting a good deal on a house
- "The shooting of Michael Brown was the final straw for people in Ferguson"