Welcome to Plywood Report, where we fill you in on what's coming up in food. See anything happening in your neighborhood? Send a note to the tipline.
1) Navy Yard: The Big Stick is inching closer. Thanks to a tipline respondent, who sent a photo of "Coming Soon" signage for the bar from Justin's Cafe's owner. A liquor license application has been filed; they're opening at 20 M St. SE. [PLYWOOD]
2) K Street: Also inching closer: &pizza at 1404 K St. NW. Elevation DC reports signage is up and a liquor license application has been filed. [PLYWOOD]
3) Herndon: Europa Restaurant, which will serve Mediterranean food, should open in mid-September at 790 Station St., NoVa Mag reports. [PLYWOOD]
4) Fairfax: Expect Vietnamese sandwiches when Natalie's opens in mid-October at 10407 Main St. They'll have crepes and beignets, too. [PLYWOOD]
5) Alexandria: When doughnut shop Sugar Shack opens in Alexandria, they're planning to host a mini speakeasy next door. They're now looking at a winter opening, NoVa Mag reports. [PLYWOOD]