Pet pig saves family from fire

Dylan Stableford, Yahoo News
Yahoo News
Pet pig saves family from fire

A pet pig is being hailed as a hero by an Illinois family after he alerted them to a fire in their home.

Ina Farler of Mount Carmel and her two grandchildren were sound asleep when the fire broke out at approximately 4:40 a.m. Sunday in their trailer park home. That's when the potbellied pig, appropriately named Lucky, began to squeal.

"He started screaming," Farler told WFIE-TV. "He would jump down, run to the door and then jump back up on the bed and hit me really hard. I sat up to see what was wrong with him, because he usually doesn't do that through the night.

"When I sat up, I realized the room was really smoky," she said.

Farler was able to grab her grandchildren — and Lucky — and escape through a bathroom window.

According to the Evansville Courier & Press, flames were "shooting from the side of the residence" when firefighters arrived.

The family is now displaced, but Farler considers herself lucky she has Lucky.

"He loves my grandkids to death," she said.