West Virginia's tap water still contains traces of the chemical 4-methylcyclohexane methanol (MCHM) following a chemical spill that occurred nearly a month ago, making toxic the water supply of nearly 300,000 people.
According to CNN, which commissioned an independent chemical test, the amount of MCHM found in tap and untreated water in two homes are considered safe by the CDC. But that doesn't mean residents in affected counties feel comfortable drinking tap water. One woman, who allowed CNN to test water from her home, explained that "we don't know what the long-term effects are going to be. Yes, it may not kill us, but I'm concerned about my kids twenty years from now." Another woman said she could still smell the tell-tale licorice scent that signifies the presence of MCHM. (Atlantic Wire)