the past seven years the Fourth Plinth in the northwest corner of
Trafalgar Square has become home to some of the world’s most innovative
plinth was originally designed by Sir Charles Barry in 1841 to display
an equestrian statue, however due to insufficient funds the statue was
In 1998 – over one hundred and fifty years later – the
Royal Society for the Encouragement of Arts, Manufactures and Commerce
(RSA) commissioned three contemporary sculptures by Mark Wallinger, Bill
Woodrow and Rachel Whiteread to be displayed temporarily on the plinth.
Following the enormous public interest generated by these commissions, the Mayor of London began the Fourth Plinth Programme to continue this tradition and build on its success.
Here's a look at the artists are on the shortlist for the 2014/2015 Fourth Plinth Commissions and the models of their proposed works on display at St. Martin-in-the-Fields from 25 September until 17 November 2013. (London.gov.uk)