The Glenwood Power Station was built in 1906, designed by the same architects who created the majestic Grand Central Station, but today it's better known as the 'Gates of Hell'. The massive building is shrouded in mystery, a decaying monument to America's industrial past, but it once powered the city's newly-built subways, pumping energy to the electrified rails and moving New Yorkers about their modern city.
Built by the New York Central Railroad company in 1906, the Glenwood Power Station powered the railroad for 30 years, before it became cheaper for the company to purchase its electricity rather than generating it. Next, Con Edison took over, using the station to power the surrounding area. (Daily Mail)