Sam Rockwell is a fantastic actor, no question, but his racist cop character in "Three Billboards" was pretty controversial. So it wasn't clear whether he would be rewarded for the role, or if the 2018 Best Actor in a Supporting Role Oscar would end up going to Willem Dafoe or Richard Jenkins. (The other two weren't really contenders; sorry, guys.)
Here's the full list of nominees in this category:
Actor in a Supporting Role
- Willem Dafoe, "The Florida Project"
- Woody Harrelson, "Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri"
- Richard Jenkins, "The Shape of Water"
- Christopher Plummer, "All the Money in the World"
- Sam Rockwell, "Three Billboards"
The 90th Academy Awards, hosted by Jimmy Kimmel, aired Sunday, March 4 on ABC.
Here's the full list of Oscar winners, as they're announced during the show.