• Home
  • Mail
  • Flickr
  • Tumblr
  • News
  • Sports
  • Finance
  • Celebrity
  • Answers
  • Groups
  • Mobile
  • More
Yahoo
    • Skip to Navigation
    • Skip to Main Content
    • Skip to Related Content
    News Home
    Follow Us
    • US
    • World
    • Politics
    • Tech
    • Science
    • Odd News
    • ABC News
    • Yahoo Originals
    • Katie Couric
    • Matt Bai

    Official: Sanders shares blame for minors voting in primary

    TODD RICHMOND
    Associated PressMarch 14, 2017
    From left, Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., Sen. Amy Klobuchar, D-Minn., and Sen. Heidi Heitkamp, D-N.D., listen during a news conference on Capitol Hill in Washington, Tuesday, March 14, 2017, about the Family Act. (AP Photo/Manuel Balce Ceneta)

    MADISON, Wis. (AP) — Wisconsin election officials on Tuesday blamed undertrained poll workers and Sen. Bernie Sanders' social media posts for dozens of instances in which 17-year-olds managed to vote in last year's state presidential primary.

    A commission report found that as many as 70 teenagers in nearly 30 Wisconsin counties voted illegally in the April election. Sanders won the Democratic side of the primary; Ted Cruz won the Republican side.

    Many states allow 17-year-olds who will be 18 by Election Day to vote in their primaries, but Wisconsin requires voters to be 18 to vote in its.

    In its report, the commission determined that "some political campaigns" provided false information about 17-year-olds being able to vote in primaries and it circulated on social media, creating confusion and driving the Wisconsin teens to the polls.

    The report doesn't name a specific candidate or provide examples of the alleged false information. But commission officials on Tuesday said it was primarily Sanders' campaign, though commission spokesman Reid Magney acknowledged that staff didn't see anything misleading from Sanders about Wisconsin laws, specifically. Magney said the report was based on "anecdotal" information the commission received from multiple sources.

    Andrea Kaminski, executive director of Wisconsin's League of Women Voters chapter, told the commission she was "distressed" to read about the 17-year-olds voting, saying voters and poll workers need to be better educated about voting laws.

    Commission Chairman Mark Thomsen responded by telling her that Sanders' national campaign "blurred the differences" in states' laws in its messaging and "the candidate has to have responsibility for those errors."

    Asked during a break how Sanders could be held responsible for internet users misinterpreting his messages, Thomsen said he thinks candidates for national office need to keep in mind that election laws vary from state to state.

    "It's your obligation to tell your campaign people and the voters what the rules are in your jurisdiction," Thomsen said. "You can just sit in D.C. and say here it is. I would hate to see youthful exuberance end up in criminal prosecution."

    Sanders' campaign didn't immediately reply to an email seeking reaction to Thomsen's remarks. The Vermont senator enjoyed strong support among young voters and he pushed for the inclusion in primaries of 17-year-olds who would be eligible to vote on Election Day, successfully suing for that right in Ohio just weeks before Wisconsin's primary.

    Commissioner Ann Jacobs said during Tuesday's meeting that it's unclear who's responsible for what appears online. Sanders may have said 17-year-olds could vote in one state and his supporters or kids twisted the message as it spread across the internet, she suggested.

    "To say the campaign itself promulgated it may be the case, or it may not be the case," she said.

    Commissioner Julie Glancey said she didn't want to point fingers at any campaigns. The panel ultimately voted unanimously to remove the phrase "some political campaigns" from the report and simply say false information spread through social media.

    Thomsen added that it's troubling Wisconsin poll workers allowed the 17-year-olds to vote. The commission will look at training to "make sure we're not encouraging 17-year-olds to commit crimes."

    The commission consists of three Republicans and three Democrats. Thomsen, Jacobs and Glancey are all Democrats.

    The 17-year-olds who voted were referred to local prosecutors. District attorneys in counties with the most underage voters told The Associated Press they chose not to charge them because they genuinely believed they could vote and didn't intend to commit fraud.

    Dane County District Attorney Ismael Ozanne, a Democrat, told The AP on Tuesday that he has reached deferred prosecution agreements in four of the seven cases that reached his desk. Deferred prosecution agreements are deals in which first-time offenders can avoid a conviction if they satisfy conditions such as completing community service.

    Ozanne said he hasn't decided whether to charge the remaining three teens. He declined to comment on whether he felt the teens intentionally tried to commit fraud.

    Gov. Scott Walker told reporters in Milwaukee that 17-year-olds voting is all the more reason why voter photo identification is so important. He said he anticipates poll workers will probably make a point of checking birthdays as well as names on the cards from now on.

    President Donald Trump has called for a "major investigation" into voter fraud and alleged, without any evidence, that 3 million to 5 million people may have voted illegally in the November general election. The commission report lists no instances of underage voters casting ballots in Wisconsin's general election.

    ___

    Associated Press writer Cara Lombardo contributed to this report.

    ___

    Follow Todd Richmond on Twitter at https://twitter.com/trichmond1

    Follow Cara Lombardo on Twitter at https://twitter.com/cararlombardo

    Popular in the Community

    • Trump said firing ‘nut job’ Comey took pressure off Russia probe; White House official now ‘person of interest’: reports

      16741 reactions4%65%31%
    • Comparez toutes les offres d'assurance habitation

      Yahoo!Sponsored
    • Times Square, protests, Weiner and more — it happened today: May 19 in pictures

      59 reactions1%75%24%
    • Woman Dies After Childbirth, Photos Go Viral

      703 reactions7%67%26%
    • The Cavs handed the Celtics a record playoff loss, and this series is over

      248 reactions4%76%20%
    • Nissan QASHQAI N-CONNECTA. Le Crossover Original

      NISSANSponsored
    • The fall of the Confederacy

      1136 reactions4%70%26%
    • Dad, teen adjust to life after weeks without video games: Part 6

    • Luis Fonsi On Justin Bieber's Spanish, 'Despacito' Hitting No. 1

      7 reactions12%75%13%
    • Créez votre Nissan X-TRAIL !

      NISSANSponsored
    • Anderson Cooper: If Trump ‘Took A Dump On His Desk,’ Jeffrey Lord Would Defend It

      479 reactions3%71%26%
    • Donald Trump's son-in-law Jared Kushner 'person of interest in Russia investigation'

      438 reactions4%69%27%
    • Prosecutors: Times Square driver wanted to 'kill them all'

      1334 reactions3%69%28%
    • Nissan LEAF

      NISSANSponsored
    • Migrants, Times Square, Always Dreaming & more — it happened today: May 18 in pictures

      88 reactions2%71%27%
    • Parents see son for the first time since he unplugged from technology: Part 5

      4 reactions0%100%0%

    Beijing denies 'unprofessional' intercept of US plane

    John: If people have GoPro video of every human activity on Earth, I'm pretty sure the Navy has video of this. If I were Trump, I'd tell the Chinese that every aerial encounter with their countries aircraft will be live streamed to YouTube on the Navy Channel. The world can see in real time exactly what happens with the Chinese Military all of the time.

    Join the Conversation
    1 / 5

    77