NYC taxi driver dies in Rockaways robbery try — Bronx resident ‘worked honestly and tirelessly to support his family’

A yellow taxi driver died after his passengers assaulted him in a robbery attempt in Queens early Saturday, police said.

Three men and two women are sought for attacking Kutin Gyimah, 52, on Beach 54th St. near Arverne Blvd. in the Rockaways’ Edgemere section at about 6:30 a.m., said cops.

Gyimah was dropping off the passengers in his yellow minivan when they tried to rob him, said cops.

The cabbie ran after the thieves — and some of the thieves struck him, causing him to fall and hit his head.

The blow knocked Gyimah unconscious, said police.

Officers responding to a 911 call of a robbery in progress found Gyimah lying in the street with trauma to the back of his head, cops said.

He was rushed to St. John’s Hospital, but could not be saved.

A taxi driver group is offering a $15,000 reward for the suspects’ capture. “These murderers must be caught,” said Fernando Mateo of the New York State Federation of Taxi Drivers, which announced the award.

Mateo said the funeral expenses will be covered by the owners of Big Apple Taxi Fleet, where Gyimah leased his cab.

Gyimah, who lived in Co-op City, the Bronx, leaves behind a wife and four children aged 8, 7, 5 and 3, Mateo said.

Gyimah was a “really, really sweet guy. I want to say humble, polite,” said Spyros Drakos, the operations manager of Big Apple Taxi Fleet. “Always very polite, the way he spoke.”

Drakos said Gyimah worked night shifts, and was likely ending his shift at the time of the attack.

A GoFundMe page organized by Drakos raised more than $19,000 to aid Gyimah’s family by 11 p.m. Saturday, about seven hours after it was posted.

Gyimah “worked honestly and tirelessly to support his family,” the GoFundMe page said. “All through the worst days of the pandemic he was one of the few who still drove a cab to provide support for our city and its citizens.”

“This is a poor hardworking man. How can you leave your home and not return?” Mateo asked. He called the crime “outrageous” and said his group wants “justice for Mr. Gyimah.”

The police investigation was still underway Saturday night, and Gyimah’s attackers were still being sought.