By Ju-min Park SEOUL (Reuters) - North Korea fired a submarine-launched ballistic missile off its east coast on Saturday, South Korea said, amid concerns that the isolated state might conduct a nuclear test or a missile launch ahead of a ruling party meeting in May. The North fired the missile to the northeast at about 6:30 p.m. (0930 GMT), the South's office of the Joint Chiefs of Staff said. North Korea will hold a congress of its ruling Workers' Party in early May for the first time in 36 years, at which its leader Kim Jong Un is expected to say the country is a strong military power and a nuclear state. The missile flew for about 30 km (18 miles), a South Korean Defense Ministry official said by telephone, adding its military was trying to determine whether the launch may have been a failure for unspecified reasons. South Korea's Yonhap news agency said the missile flew "for a few minutes," citing a government source. The U.S. Strategic Command said it had detected and tracked a North Korean submarine missile launch but it did not pose a threat to North America. State Department spokesman John Kirby said launches using ballistic missile technology were "a clear violation of multiple UN Security Council resolutions." France on Saturday called on the European Union to unilaterally adopt additional sanctions on North Korea if the missile launch was confirmed. The European Union in March expanded trade and financial sanctions on North Korea, following up on harsh new measures imposed by the U.N. Security Council. The North first attempted a launch of the submarine-based missile last year and was seen to be in the early stages of developing such a weapons system, which could pose a new threat to its neighbors and the United States if it is perfected. However, follow-up test launches were believed to have fallen short of the North's expectations as its state media footage appeared to have been edited to fake success, according experts who have seen the visuals. South Korea's military has said it is on high alert over the possibility that the isolated North could conduct its fifth nuclear test "at any time" in defiance of U.N. sanctions after setting off what it said was a hydrogen device in January. Satellite images show North Korea may have resumed tunnel excavation at its main nuclear test site, similar to activity seen before the January test, a U.S. North Korea monitoring website reported on Wednesday. South Korea and the United States, as well as experts, believe the North is working to develop a submarine-launched ballistic missile system and an intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) putting the mainland United States within range. North Korea is banned from nuclear tests and activities that use ballistic missile technology under U.N. sanctions dating to 2006 and most recently adopted in March but it has pushed ahead with work to miniaturize a nuclear warhead and develop an ICBM. A senior U.S. official said this week that North Korea should take a lesson from Iran which has agreed to roll back its nuclear program in an agreement with Western powers in return for lifting of major sanctions but the North has shown no sign of entering into such a pact. North Korea Foreign Minister Ri Su Yong told the Associated Press in New York on Saturday that his country is ready to halt nuclear tests if the United States suspends its annual military exercises with South Korea. North Korea made a similar demand in January. Asked if the United States would consider a halt, Katina Adams, a spokeswoman for the State Department's East Asia bureau, said the exercises demonstrate the U.S. commitment to the alliance with South Korea and enhance "the combat readiness." (Additional reporting by Idrees Ali in Washington and Michel Rose in Paris; Editing by Jack Kim, Alison Williams, Bill Trott and Mary Milliken)
Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting
- The Daily Beast
YouTubeThe last text Gabby Petito sent before she went missing while road-tripping across the U.S. with her fiancé set off alarm bells for her mother, who became fearful for the 22-year-old’s safety after receiving the “odd” message.That’s according to a newly-unsealed search warrant giving North Port, Florida, police permission to search a hard drive investigators found in Petito’s white van, which she and Brian Laundrie, 23, had been using to tour the country’s national parks.“The text message
Search warrant for Brian Laundrie: Gabby Petito's mom says conversations and texts with her appeared to show 'more and more tension' between couple
The tenor of some messages, and then a lack of communication from Petito is what led her mother to reach out to authorities, according to the warrant.
A police note was found on Brian Laundrie's car after he disappeared following a hike into a Florida nature preserve, his family says
Brian Laundrie's family said they picked up the Ford Mustang from the Carlton Reserve in Florida when he didn't come home.
- E! News
Instead of dancing the night away at an after-party for the 2021 Emmys, Mandy Moore celebrated ending her awards night in the best way possible: by eating pizza in her pantry.
- Harper's Bazaar
Issa Rae at the Emmys. Megan Fox at the VMAs. Zoë Kravitz and Kendall Jenner at the Met Gala. Is this what a post-Victoria's Secret world looks like?
Close-ups of footage said to show Gabby Petito's van near where a body was found appear to show the rear door closing
A YouTubing family said it caught footage of Petito's van unoccupied. Zoomed in, the footage suggests the rear door closed as the family approached.
- Good Housekeeping
We did not expect this! 🙌
- The Daily Beast
Michael M Santiago/GettyImagesProsecutors have discovered a tranche of evidence in the basement of a co-conspirator in the Trump Organization tax fraud case, a defense lawyer for indicted chief financial officer Allen Weisselberg revealed in court on Monday, with the attorney also signaling that more shoes are yet to drop in New York’s ongoing investigation.“We have strong reason to believe there could be other indictments coming,” Weisselberg’s lawyer, Bryan C. Skarlatos, said in Manhattan crim
- In The Know by Yahoo
Man's bone-chilling demonstration casts doubt on the safety of hotel rooms: 'Another thing to be paranoid about'
If you aren't already inspecting your hotel room or Airbnb before settling in, you might want to start.
- ProFootball Talk on NBC Sports
The 49ers saw three of their running backs get hurt in Sunday’s win over the Eagles, so they are looking at some potential additions to the roster this week. According to multiple reports, the team is bringing in Duke Johnson, Lamar Miller, and T.J. Yeldon. Johnson was released off of the Jaguars’ practice squad last [more]
- Yahoo Movies
Sultry toon is being transformed from damsel in distress to private investigator at Disneyland's Roger Rabbit ride. "Disney does not understand the concept of Jessica Rabbit," grouses one fan.
Carole Middleton's bridal gown got a "second lease of life," says her new daughter-in-law
- Charlotte Observer
After impressing Hornets coaches at NBA Summer League in Las Vegas, they signed him to the team Monday.
- Washington Examiner
Mixed martial arts rising star "Suga" Sean O'Malley commented critically on transgender fighter Alana McLaughlin's victories over female fighters.
Her style is truly unmatched.
- Kansas City Star
“Glad I didn’t find them, I would have called the crime scene investigation.”
- Entertainment Weekly
Dancing With the Stars recap: See who earned the lowest score by doing something completely different
Jojo Siwa danced last with a female partner, a show first.
- Yahoo Life
Jordyn Woods is a ‘dream girl’ in stunning draped crystal dress: ‘All of your dreams shall be furfillleeeeeed’
Jordyn Woods is entering her 24th year in style!
- Business Insider
Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer announced they would attach a debt-ceiling suspension to a government-funding bill, daring the GOP. McConnell answered.
It actually has nothing to do with the British royal family