Earlier this month Nintendo discontinued the NES Classic in Asia and North America. Now, it’s effectively been continued worldwide. Nintendo has stopped manufacturing NES Classic models for the European market, according to Eurogamer.
In a statement, Nintendo told Eurogamer it has stopped production for the NES Classic, but didn’t close the door completely on the compact vintage console.
"If production resumes in the future, an update will be posted on the official Nintendo website,” Nintendo said.
Nintendo initially launched the NES Classic last fall, pricing the console at a low $60. The update to the original Nintendo Entertainment System bundled in 30 games such as Tecmo Bowl, Castlevania and Mario Bros.
Thanks to a mix of modest inventory numbers and rocketing demand, the console quickly became a massive seller for retailers and third-party resellers last holiday season. Nintendo hasn’t confirmed lifetime sales numbers for the NES Classic yet, but as of this February, the unit sold an estimated 1.5 million units worldwide.
At the moment, the move completely shutters the NES Classic within Nintendo’s current strategy. Nintendo hasn’t given any indication on its future plans for the console, but outside of North America, the company has notably couched the phrasing of its public statements.
The company echoed its language in Tuesday’s statement when it previously announced the cancellation of the Japan-variant Famicom Mini console, saying the console was only temporarily being halted. Still, the news is likely of little comfort for gamers who didn’t get an NES Classic for themselves.