RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) -- A North Carolina Supreme Court decision upholding a ban on video sweepstakes machines is going into effect.
Last month, the state Supreme Court denied a request from the sweepstakes game industry to delay an earlier decision that sweepstakes halls are gambling operations. The court's ruling goes into effect statewide on Thursday.
The industry had sought a few weeks to see if the U.S. Supreme Court would consider its claim of free-speech protections.
It's unclear whether the sweepstakes parlors that have opened across the state will be closed or whether their owners will find a way to comply with the law, as some have said they will do.
State Attorney General Roy Cooper says he doesn't anticipate widespread Internet café raids across the state on Thursday.