This week's new album releases
Each title listed below will go on sale beginning Monday, August 25 or Tuesday, August 26 unless otherwise indicated. (Note that many of the albums are Monday releases this week.)
Junto LISTEN (Stereogum) LISTEN (Spotify)
Veteran electronic music duo Basement Jaxx return after an unusually long five-year break (their last proper LP was 2009's Scars) with their seventh album. Junto (Spanish for "together"). does not include recently released tracks such as "What a Difference Your Love Makes" and "Back 2 The Wild", but it does feature a grab-bag of dance music genres and guests that include Mykki Blanco and Sam Brookes.
Angels & Devils LISTEN (FACT)
London Zoo, Kevin Martin's first Ninja Tune release as The Bug (the British producer also records under various other guises, including King Midas Sound and Techno Animal), wowed critics when it was released ... back in 2008. After an EP teaser last year, he finally returns with a proper LP follow-up this week. Death Grips, Grouper, Flowdan, and Gonjasufi are among the artists who have contributed to Angels and Devils, which, as the title suggests, is an album of two extremes: a quiet, almost ambient first half, followed by an intense, noisy, jarring second half.
My Everything LISTEN (Spotify)
While Ariana Grande's acting career may have hit a few bumps with the cancelation of her Nickelodeon series Sam & Cat, her recording career is booming, thanks to last year's surprisingly strong debut album Yours Truly. Today, she's back with a follow-up, and it has the looks of a hit (with lead single "Problem" already a massive seller), though early reviews suggest a much weaker album than her first. Guests on My Everything include Iggy Azalea, Big Sean, A$AP Ferg, Childish Gambino, and The Weeknd, with production coming from the likes of Ryan Tedder, Zedd, Benny Blanco, Max Martin, and Rodney Jerkins.
Tied to a Star LISTEN (NPR)
Star is the Dinosaur Jr. frontman's first solo album since 2011's Several Shades of Why. The Sub Pop release is produced by Mascis himself and features guest appearances from Cat Power, Pall Jenkins (Black Heart Procession), and Mark Mulcahy. The result is far quieter and mellower than much of the guitarist's past work—expect plenty of acoustic guitar—but early reviews are mostly positive.
After the End LISTEN (NPR)
Though often lumped in with their local punk scene (mainly because of their DIY ethos), Tampa band Merchandise makes music that is better described as post-punk, on releases such as 2013's Totale Nite. Their self-produced, 1980s-influenced follow-up After the End sees the group moving to legendary British label 4AD and features a newly expanded lineup.
The New Pornographers
Brill Bruisers LISTEN (Spotify)
Matador release Brill Bruisers is the first album in four years for the Canadian supergroup (consisting of AC Newman, Dan Bejar, Kathryn Calder, and Neko Case). Early reviews suggest it's also their best in a decade.
Moonshine in the Trunk LISTEN (Spotify)
You won't find any envelope-pushing songs like last year's "Accidental Racist" on this 10th studio album from the country star, though you will find a bit of EDM influence ("a banjo through stutter edit," anyone?) on what otherwise is billed as a back-to-basics record, co-produced by Paisley with Luke Wooten. Carrie Underwood and Emmylou Harris guest.
Green Language LISTEN (Pandora) LISTEN (Spotify)
Warp release Green Language is the second LP from the Scottish electronica artist, following 2011's strong Glass Swords. Danny Brown guests on one track, but early reviews suggest a bit of a sophomore slump. For a more unique way to listen to the album, you can unlock each of the album's tracks by playing an 8-bit video game.
Manipulator LISTEN (NPR)
Prolific California indie rocker Ty Segall seems to be slowing down these days; Manipulator is his only full-length release this year. But the unusually lengthy studio time (a full month, rather than his usual few days) generated enough material to make Manipulator a double album. And critics have plenty of good things to say so far about Segall's most polished record to date.
Pay Close Attention 2xCD LISTEN (Spotify)
This two-disc box set celebrates the 25th anniversary of London-based record label XL Recordings with classic tracks from throughout the label's history, from the likes of Radiohead, The XX, M.I.A., Basement Jaxx, The Prodigy, Adele, and more.
- The 2 Bears Lambs Bread and Weepers EP LISTEN (Spotify)
- Johnny Aries Unbloomed Debut for English singer who also recently became a member of The Drums
- Ashrae Fax Never Really Been Into It LISTEN (Spotify)
- Avenged Sevenfold Waking the Fallen: Resurrected 3xCD
- Chris Bacon Bates Motel OST
- The Bad Plus Inevitable Western LISTEN (Spotify)
- Jill Barber Fool's Gold
- Battle Trance Palace Of Wind
- Cameron Carpenter If You Could Read My Mind LISTEN (NPR)
- Claude Speed My Skeleton
- Cold Specks Neuroplasticity LISTEN (Spotify) Michael Gira (Swans) guests on two tracks
- John Cowan Sixty
- Cymbals Eat Guitars Lose LISTEN (Spotify)
- Dry the River Alarms in the Heart LISTEN (Spotify)
- Elephant Stone The Three Poisons LISTEN (CoS)
- Famous Last Words Council of the Dead
- Floating Action Body Questions
- Frnkiero And The Cellabration Stomachaches
- High Ends Super Class
- Robyn Hitchcock The Man Upstairs LISTEN (Spotify) 10-song album features a mix of covers (of songs by Psychedelic Furs, Roxy Music, The Doors, and more) and originals
- Bruce Hornsby Solo Concerts 2xCD
- In The Valley Below The Belt
- Kem Promise to Love
- Khun Narin Electric Phin Band Khun Narin Electric Phin Band
- Lewis Romantic Times First time on CD (or pretty much anywhere)
- MNDSGN Yawn Zen
- Moiré Shelter LISTEN (Spotify)
- Mono/Poly Golden Skies LISTEN (Pitchfork)
- Music Blues Things Haven't Gone Well
- New Medicine Breaking The Model
- Ngozi Family Day of Judgement
- O-Town Lines and Circles
- Opeth Pale Communion LISTEN (Pitchfork)
- Gemma Ray Milk for Your Motors LISTEN (Spotify)
- Cassie Ramone The Time Has Come LISTEN (Pitchfork) Solo debut for former Vivian Girls frontwoman
- The Rentals Lost in Alphaville LISTEN (Pitchfork) First album in 15 years for the band led by former Weezer bassist Matt Sharp features The Black Keys' Patrick Carney on drums
- Shovels & Rope Swimmin' Time LISTEN (NPR)
- Roni Size Take Kontrol LISTEN (Spotify) First new solo album in a decade
- Royal Blood Royal Blood LISTEN (Spotify)
- Rubblebucket Survival Sounds LISTEN (NY Times)
- SW/MM/NG Feel Not Bad
- Tinnarose Tinnarose
- The Underachievers Cellar Door: Terminus Ut Exordium LISTEN (Spotify)
- The Unicorns Who Will Cut Our Hair When We're Gone? LISTEN (Spotify) Reissue of 2003 album adds four bonus tracks (three previously unreleased)
- Wand Ganglion Reef LISTEN (Hype Machine) Debut album for the Ty Segall-endorsed L.A. band
- The Wytches Annabel Dream Reader LISTEN (NPR)
- The Young Chrome Cactus LISTEN (Spotify)
- Zoot Woman Star Climbing
Stream upcoming albums and new tracks
- Blonde Redhead ALBUM Barragán streaming until its 9/2 release at NPR.
- Chris Brown TRACK "X" streaming at SoundCloud.
- Childish Gambino TRACK "Candler Road" streaming at SoundCloud.
- Leonard Cohen TRACK "Almost Like the Blues" Streaming at YouTube.
- Deafheaven TRACK "From The Kettle Onto The Coil" streaming at SoundCloud.
- The Drums TRACK "I Can't Pretend" streaming at Stereogum.
- Eminem TRACK "Guts Over Fear" (feat. Sia) streaming at Audiomack.
- Future TRACK "Monster" streaming at SoundCloud.
- Ariana Grande TRACK "Love Me Harder" (feat. The Weeknd) streaming at MTV.
- Hiss Golden Messenger TRACK "Mahogany Dread" streaming at SoundCloud.
- How to Dress Well TRACK "So Easy For Pleasure" streaming at SoundCloud.
- Katy B TRACK "Little Red Light" streaming at SoundCloud.
- Kele TRACK "Doubt" streaming at SoundCloud.
- Kelela & Le1f TRACK "OICU" streaming at SoundCloud.
- King Tuff TRACK "Black Moon Spell" streaming at SoundCloud.
- Les Sins [Toro y Moi side project] TRACK "Bother" streaming at SoundCloud.
- Thurston Moore TRACK "The Best Day" streaming at YouTube.
- Prince TRACK "Clouds" streaming at Spin.
- Run the Jewels TRACK "Blockbuster Night Part 1" streaming at SoundCloud.
- Sinkane ALBUM Mean Love streaming until its 9/2 release at NPR.
- Tinashe TRACK "Pretend" (feat. A$AP Rocky) streaming at SoundCloud.
- Tricky TRACK "Lonnie Listen" streaming at Spotify.
- Underworld TRACK "Cowgirl (Alt Cowgirl C69 Mix from A1564)" (previously unreleased alternate version) streaming at YouTube.
- The Unicorns TRACK "Let Me Sleep" (previously unreleased) streaming at SoundCloud.
- Zammuto ALBUM Anchor streaming until its 9/2 release at NPR.
On TV this week (new episodes only)
- Monday: Lyle Lovett (Letterman), The Polyphonic Spree (Yahoo! Screen, 9p ET)
- Tuesday: EMA (Letterman)
- Wednesday: The Last Internationale (Letterman)
- Thursday: Presidents of the United States of America (Yahoo! Screen, 1:30a ET)
- Friday: The Smithereens (Yahoo! Screen, 8:30p ET)
- Sunday: Counting Crows (Yahoo! Screen, 7:30p ET), The Offspring (Yahoo! Screen, 12:45a ET)
Recent artist and industry news
- The Knife have announced that they will break up after the remaining six dates on their current European tour. - Pitchfork
- According to Forbes, Calvin Harris is the world's highest-paid DJ again this year, collecting $66 million over the 12 months ending June 1, 2014. Find the full list at EDMTunes.
- For the first time in its six-year history, music streaming service SoundCloud will include advertising, with the revenue used to pay royalties to artists/labels. A paid subscription service (which will allow users to bypass the ads) is also in the works. - The New York Times
- At last night's 2014 MTV Video Music Awards, Miley Cyrus took video of the year honors for "Wrecking Ball," but Beyoncé was the night's top honoree with three wins. MTV has the full list of winners.
The latest music videos
Nicki Minaj, "Anaconda":
Taylor Swift, "Shake It Off" [directed by Mark Romanek]:
Charli XCX, "Break The Rules":
HAIM feat A$AP Ferg, "My Song 5":
Trash Talk, "The Great Escape":
Coldplay, "True Love":
Action Bronson, "Easy Rider":
The War on Drugs, "Under the Pressure":
Shabazz Palaces, "#CAKE" [NSFW]:
The Weeknd, "Often" [NSFW]:
M83, "Lower Your Eyelids To Die With The Sun":
In the studio / coming soon
- We have details on 90 key albums arriving this fall, including just-announced releases from Aphex Twin and Run the Jewels, in our Fall Music Preview.
- Prince will release two albums next month. PLECTRUMELECTRUM is his long-in-the-works collaboration with his latest backing band 3rdEyeGirl, while Art Official Age is a solo album. Both will be out on September 30th via his new (old) label Warner Bros. - Spin
- Out November 28 is Shady XV, a 2-disc set from Eminem that combines a greatest hits set with an album of new material from Eminem and associated projects Slaughterhouse, D-12, and more. - Billboard
- Savages and Bo Ningen have collaborated on a full-length album, though it consists of just a single, 37-minute track. Words to the Blind will be out on November 17th. - Pitchfork
- Scotland's The Twilight Sad return on October 28 with a new album, Nobody Want To Be Here And Nobody Wants To Leave.
- Les Sins, the dance-oriented side project for Toro Y Moi's Chaz Bundick, will release debut full-length Michael on November 4th.
Visit Metacritic's Album Release Calendar for a full listing of upcoming release dates, updated daily.