Monti: no plans to run in upcoming elections

By NICOLE WINFIELD
Italian Premier Mario Monti listens to a question during a press conference at the end of a cabinet meeting at Chigi Palace government's office in Rome, Thursday, Dec. 6, 2012. Concerns over the stability of the Italian government grew on Thursday after Silvio Berlusconi's party withdrew its support, threatening to bring a premature end to Premier Mario Monti's ambitious reforms program. Berlusconi's center-right PDL party abstained from a confidence vote in the Senate on Thursday. Though Monti's government of unelected technocrats won the vote by 127 to 17, investors fear the move heralds a period of political uncertainty in the run-up to planned elections next year. (AP Photo/Riccardo De Luca)

ROME (AP) — Italian Premier Mario Monti says he is not now considering running for office in elections early next year because he's concentrating on his job.

Monti said at a televised news conference in Norway that the nervous reaction Monday by financial markets to his decision to step down as soon as Parliament passes the 2013 budget law later this month "shouldn't be dramatized."

Monti's term was due to end by April, and his resignation would move up elections by about two months. Monti, an economist appointed last year to save Italy from succumbing to the eurozone debt crisis, announced Saturday he is resigning early because Silvio Berlusconi's party, Parliament's largest, yanked its support for his economic policies.