A month before the 2016 presidential election, Monica Crowley, Fox News analyst and conservative columnist for the Washington Times, tweeted a photo of herself standing in front of the Berlin Wall with a caption that read, “Walls work.”
Crowley’s tweet — a nod of support for Donald Trump’s plan to build a wall along the U.S.-Mexican border — was met with a mix of outrage and mockery, with some Twitter users pointing out the unintended irony of her message.
“‘Mr. Gorbachev, keep that wall up!'” read one reply.
At the Berlin Wall last week. Walls work. pic.twitter.com/2N3B4IUhbj
— Monica Crowley (@MonicaCrowley) October 5, 2015
But when it comes to immigration, Crowley, Trump’s latest addition to his national security team, has been as outspoken as the president-elect — perhaps even more so.
In 2015, Crowley wrote an op-ed for the Washington Times arguing that the refugee crisis in Europe is just “jihad by another name” — and that “most” refugees are not fleeing warn-torn countries out of fear but with “the longer-term goal of spreading Islam.”
Several weeks ago, I traveled through Central Europe and witnessed firsthand this Islamic tsunami. Across Austria and Germany, I saw tens of thousands of people pouring in, with few constraints on their whereabouts and behavior. It was clear that it was only a matter of time before the chaos turned far more convulsive and violent.
Let’s be clear: Some of them may be fleeing war and persecution, but most are not. In fact, only about 10 percent of the new arrivals are from Syria; the other 90 percent are from elsewhere in the Middle East, North Africa and countries like Pakistan and Indonesia who are using the European Union’s open doors-open borders policy to reach the West for social welfare and the longer-term goal of spreading Islam.
Crowley also relayed secondhand anecdotal evidence: “We were told that many Muslims turned away food provided by the International Red Cross because it was stamped with a Christian cross. We were also told that many of the men carry weapons, knives specifically, which they often use to threaten those trying to help them.
“Europe is quickly reaching the point of no return,” she added. “We have more time to prevent such a transformation here, but that time may be shorter than we think. The Islamic Trojan Horse looks next to America. Will we let it in?”
In March following the terrorist attacks in Brussels, Crowley ratcheted up the rhetoric:
Islam is no mere religion. It is an all-encompassing ideological system that dictates everything from law (Shariah) to personal relationships which also have religious elements. Conquest and subjugation of the infidel lands are integral to this totalitarian ideology, by the sword, if necessary. It therefore requires that we fight this war the way we fought the Nazis in World War II and Soviet communists during the Cold War: comprehensively and strategically, with every available military, economic, ideological, diplomatic, cyber- and religious lever. We must stop this threat before it metastasizes further and fully consumes Western Civilization.
In June, following the massacre at Pulse nightclub in Orlando, Crowley accused President Obama of trying “to change the narrative from the truth” by refusing to label the gunman a radical Islamic terrorist and the shooting “an act of war against the United States.”
“Islamic supremacism they cannot and will not fight,” she wrote of the administration. “The global jihad is an endless, relentless religiously driven violent movement of conquest.”
In August, Crowley told Fox News’ Sean Hannity that the parents of Hillary Clinton’s top aide, Huma Abedin, are “essentially tools of the Saudi regime” bent on spreading Islam “and Sharia across the West, including in the United States.”
“This is Huma Abedin’s life’s work,” Crowley said.
And like Trump, Crowley encouraged Russia to release Clinton’s emails during the campaign.
I guess Putin is going to have to do it. RT "State Dept Won’t Release Clinton Fdn Emails for 27 Months https://t.co/mnECDBYdX0
— Monica Crowley (@MonicaCrowley) June 30, 2016
Crowley, 48, a self-described “happy warrior” who was a foreign policy assistant to former President Richard Nixon in the early 1990s, will serve as senior director of strategic communications for the National Security Council in Trump’s White House.
She’ll report to retired Army Lt. Gen. Michael Flynn, Trump’s national security adviser, and be working alongside another Fox News alum, K.T. McFarland, who was tapped as a deputy national security adviser by Trump last month.