Missing Kansas Student Aisha Khan Found Alive

Good Morning America
Missing Kansas Student Aisha Khan Found Alive, Family Left Wondering
Missing Kansas Student Aisha Khan Found Alive, Family Left Wondering (ABC News)

Aisha Khan, the 19-year-old Kansas college student missing for nearly a week has been found safe and unharmed, according to ABC News' Kansas City affiliate KMBC.

Overland Park Police Officer Brian Schnavel said that Khan was not abducted or held against her will, according to KMBC.

Schnavel said no criminal act occurred.

Police said they made contact with Khan by phone on Wednesday night and that she was no in danger.

The police investigation has been closed, but no other details on Khan's whereabouts or what happened were immediately available.

Khan was last heard from the morning of Dec. 19 when she left her sister a troubling voicemail, saying that while she was studying for finals at an outdoor picnic table, a drunk man had been harassing her and attempted to kiss her before she hit him and took off.

"Oh my gosh he was so scary. My heart is, like, pounding. I've never got this scared in my life," Khan can be heard saying in the message. "Pick up your phones, I am freaked out right now."

Her family had feared for the worst, with her mother and husband of five months pleading with her alleged captor to let her go.

In a brief press conference late Wednesday night, a Khan's family spokesperson thanked their community for their outpouring of support.

But no family members would speak to reporters.

Police, who just days ago told ABC News that they were treating the case as an abduction, had no comment on Khan's reappearance.

Her cell phone, backpack and other items were at the University of Kansas picnic table where she had been sitting, but she was nowhere to be found.

She is a student at the Johnson County Community College, which partners with the University of Kansas, which is why Khan was on the campus.

Police launched a massive search and investigation, and Khan's husband, parents and siblings pleaded for her safe return.