Missing Baby Lisa: Mom Was Drinking Night of Disappearance

Good Morning America
Baby Lisa's Parents Get Top Defense Lawyer Joe Tacopina
Baby Lisa's Parents Get Top Defense Lawyer Joe Tacopina (ABC News)

The mother of missing 11-month-old Kansas City baby Lisa Irwin admitted today that she was drinking the night of her daughter's disappearance two weeks ago.

"I was drinking, but it has nothing to do with my daughter's disappearance," Deborah Bradley told "Good Morning America."

The questions about whether she had been drinking arose after the discovery of a Missouri grocery store surveillance video from the day of Lisa's disappearance that showed Bradley buying boxed wine. But the mother is adamant that her drinking is unrelated to her missing daughter.

"It doesn't explain anything because that had nothing to do with anything," Bradley said.

Bradley also spoke about how she discovered that she had failed a polygraph test administered by a police officer.

"He said, 'You failed.' And I said, 'Failed what? What question did I fail?' And he said, 'You failed the one where, you know, where your daughter's at,'" Bradley recalled. "And I said, 'That's not possible. I don't know where she's at.' And I just proceeded to come unglued."

Bradley said she would have no problem taking another polygraph test and maintains that she had nothing to do with Lisa's disappearance, even though the investigation and the public have fixated on her.

"I know I have absolutely nothing to do with my daughter's disappearance," Bradley said. "I still understand they're doing their job. It's not personal, but it doesn't make me feel any better about it."

In regard to her extensive interrogations, Bradley said that during questioning, investigators showed her burned clothes and a "Doppler thing with pings from my cellphone." But she said that, since then, she has been led to believe that none of that was real.

"I hope the burned clothes weren't real," she said.

The blonde-haired, blue-eyed baby was last seen by her mother Oct. 3 when Bradley said she put her daughter in her crib around 10:30 p.m. When Lisa's father, Jeremy Irwin, arrived home from his first overnight shift as an electrician, he said he found his home in disarray and his daughter's crib empty.

"GMA" legal analyst Dan Abrams also spoke to Irwin. He maintained a united front with his wife and denied ever considering that maybe there was an accident with Lisa that his wife is trying to cover up.

"It's not possible," Irwin said. "If it's an accident, you can call the ambulance or whatever, but there's never any doubt in my mind at least that anything like that happened."

Irwin did offer new insight into the moments leading up to the discovery that Lisa was gone. His wife awoke when he arrived home at 4 a.m. from work and they chatted for a few minutes before realizing something was wrong, he told "GMA."

"I asked her, you know, 'What's going on?' She said, 'What do you mean?'" Irwin said. He pointed out that the lights were on, the door unlocked and the window open. "And she kind of jumped out of her bed like something was wrong, and that was when I kind of realized something might be wrong," he said.

When asked how the past two weeks have affected their marriage, the couple said it has made them stronger. "We spend every waking moment together since this happened," Irwin said. "It's actually made us a lot closer."

They also remain hopeful that their baby girl will come home.

"Oh, we're going to find her," mother Bradley said. "I have no doubt in my mind, we're going to find her."

Investigators had a busy weekend that included questioning a local handyman who had raised suspicion, searching an abandoned house where used diapers and baby wipes were found and calling in the National Guard to help with the search.

None of these efforts led investigators to any hard leads or confirmed suspects.

Wealthy anonymous benefactors offered a $100,000 reward Friday for Lisa's safe return or the conviction of whoever took the little girl.

The reward was announced by private investigator Bill Stanton, who said the anonymous donors have a relationship with the family and do not want to detract attention from the case with their identities.

"I hope this opens up someone's heart or someone's eyes and they realize this is serious and we can get Lisa home safe and sound," Stanton said.

After two weeks of fruitless searches and no suspects or hard leads, investigators acknowledge that running out of places to looks is "inevitable."

Exhaustive searches resulting in dead ends have taken police and FBI investigators to the woods multiple times as well as to nearby fields, a well at an abandoned house, drainage areas and a landfill.

"We haven't really thought about shutting down," Kansas City Police Capt. Steve Young said. "I think that will come sometime, but we hope to solve this case before then."