Milwaukee standoff, shooting; Valequez Livingston sentenced, 10 years

MILWAUKEE - A Milwaukee County judge sentenced Valequez Livingston on Thursday, March 28 to ten years in prison plus an additional five years of extended supervision in connection with an April 2022 shooting and police standoff near 28th and Vienna.

Livingston pleaded guilty in February 2023 to six charges against him including first-degree recklessly endangering safety and possession of a firearm by a convicted felon. Five others charges were dismissed and read into the court record for the purposes of sentencing.

Case details

Prosecutors say Livingston fired more than 100 rounds during the incident. He was taken into custody several hours after police first made contact.

<div>Valequez Livingston</div>
Valequez Livingston

Officers first responded to the area of 27th and Vienna for a reported shooting around 3 a.m. on April 13, 2022. Roughly 30 minutes later, another shooting report came in for a home a block over – near 28th and Vienna. The caller said a bullet came their home and into her daughter's bedroom. At the scene, police found broken glass and two bullet strikes, with one bullet having gone into the bedroom.

SIGN UP TODAY: Get daily headlines, breaking news emails from FOX6 News

Police knocked on the door of the home where the gunfire had allegedly come from and, around 3:40 a.m., made contact with Livingston, a criminal complaint states. Though he partially opened the interior door, Livingston did not open an external security door.

<div>Standoff near 28th and Vienna in Milwaukee</div>
Standoff near 28th and Vienna in Milwaukee

The complaint states officers tried to talk with Livingston for just over an hour, but he was "mumbling" and hard to understand. During that time, he allegedly opened and closed the door several times while turning lights on and off inside. He ultimately slid a couch in front of the door and become unresponsive to officers' requests, according to the complaint.

Officers attempted to negotiate for roughly an hour when, the complaint states, the first of many gun shots came – around 4:45 a.m. For approximately two hours, gunfire continued in 1-3 shot clusters.

The officers who initially responded were relived by members of a tactical team around 5:30 a.m., the complaint states. A tactical vehicle was parked out front and allegedly hit twice by gunfire from the home. The home's windows could be seen "rattling" from the gunfire, the complaint states, and a muzzle flash was seen through a porch window.

<div>Standoff near 28th and Vienna in Milwaukee</div>
Standoff near 28th and Vienna in Milwaukee

Around 6:50 a.m., Livingston "suddenly" came out the front door armed with a handgun and rifle – both of which were loaded. He dropped them and fell into a fetal position, the complaint states. He "actively resisted" officers' attempts to take him into custody, and a Taser was used to do so.

An officer said they estimated "at least 100" shots were fired during the incident. A search warrant found 149 casings throughout the home and numerous bullet strikes to the outside walls. Livingston was the only one inside, the complaint states.

One responding officer said the rounds were coming so close to his person that they "could ‘feel the shock’ of the bullet." Another officer said they could "feel the pressure" of the bullet.

FREE DOWNLOAD: Get breaking news alerts in the FOX6 News app for iOS or Android

No officers returned fire, and no one sustained injuries from Livingston's gunfire, police said. Several houses and the police vehicle were struck, though.

In an interview with police following his arrest, Livingston said he knew an officer came to the door and that he "slammed the door on the officer." He said he recently started using crack cocaine again after several years not using – describing himself as an addict, per the complaint.

The complaint states Livingston was convicted in Arkansas in 1991 for robbery and gun possession. He allegedly admitted that he knows, as a felon, he should not have guns. He said he had them for protection. He denied looking outside to see if police were there during the standoff.