Michelle Troconis’ trial in Jennifer Dulos case looms. Lawyers are fighting to suppress evidence.

Attorneys in the trial for Michelle Troconis spent most of last week in a Stamford courtroom discussing what evidence jurors will be allowed to see and hear at her upcoming trial.

Troconis’ trial is set to begin in Stamford on Jan. 8. She faces multiple charges including conspiracy to commit murder, tampering with evidence and hindering prosecution in connection to the disappearance, and presumed death, of New Canaan mother Jennifer Farber Dulos in 2019.

In a days-long suppression hearing, Troconis’ defense team argued that some evidence should not be allowed to be presented by state prosecutors, including certain interviews with investigators and evidence obtained from her cell phone after it was seized by detectives.

Judge Kevin A. Randolph has yet to decide on some of the evidence but ruled that evidence from Troconis’ cell phone will not be allowed at trial. Randolph ruled that “the exigent circumstances exception to the warrant requirement does not apply to the warrantless seizure of the defendant’s cell phone.”

Randolph wrote that the contents of Troconis’ phone “presents the greatest of privacy concerns.”

Final juror selected in case against Michelle Troconis; trial to begin in new year

Detectives seized Troconis’ cell phone on May 31, 2019, during a search of the home she shared with her boyfriend, the now later Fotis Dulos, in Farmington. Detective Robert Beauton put Troconis’ phone on airplane mode and disconnected it from Bluetooth and Wi-Fi after “he concluded the phone could be easily wiped … even remotely wiped,” according to court records.

Records show that Beauton “reasoned that the phone would contain communications between the defendant (Troconis) and Dulos before, during and after the disappearance of Farber Dulos on May 24, 2019.

Beauton also “believed that location information from the phone was critical to determining the defendant’s (Troconis’) presence on Albany Avenue in Hartford where evidence related to an alleged assault of Farber Dulos was placed in a storm drain,” court records show.

However, records show that Beauton “did not review the search warrant” before searching the home and seizing the phone.

Law enforcement had secured a warrant to search the defendants’ phone records as early as May 27, Randolph’s decision said, but there was no warrant for the seizure of her phone as of May 31.

Ahead of the start of her trial, Troconis’ attorneys, Jon Schoenhorn and Audrey Felson, filed multiple motions asking that the state be prohibited from introducing certain pieces of evidence, like that cell phone evidence, to the jury.

More than 4 and 1/2 years after Farber Dulos disappeared during a contentious divorce and custody battle with Dulos, Troconis is the first person to face a jury in connection to her death. Troconis was dating Dulos and living with him in his Farmington mansion at the time of the disappearance.

Prosecutor Sean McGuiness on Thursday introduced Troconis’ second interview with state police investigators on June 6, 2019. An investigator testified Thursday that, during a search of Troconis’ and Dulos’ home, they found multiple versions of what appeared to be a timeline for the day Farber Dulos disappeared.

Missing from those timelines was the trip to Albany Avenue, where Dulos made multiple stops to dispose of what police believe was criminal evidence, while Troconis was in the vehicle.

During the interviews shown in court, Troconis said that they made the timelines to make sure they documented where they had been that day. Some were written by her and some by Dulos, she said.

Troconis was reportedly in the vehicle during the Albany Avenue trip, which was captured on surveillance footage but told investigators in the interview that she was primarily on her phone and not paying much attention to what they were doing. When she asked, she said Dulos told her to “relax.” She told investigators she just went along for the ride as a companion and that she would not have gone if she knew what he was doing.

Investigators pressured her, saying “Nobody in the world believes that you didn’t know what was going on” and “You’re probably the most hated woman in America right now.”

They also told Troconis her story about what happened that day and the timelines had “significant problems.”

Troconis said that she had slept in her daughter Nicole’s bed from midnight on the night before the disappearance so could not say for certain whether or not Dulos was home or in bed. She told investigators she never actually saw him that morning. She also told investigators during the interview that she had never even met Farber Dulos.

Troconis became visibly emotional multiple times during the interview, including when she was told that Dulos had allegedly been speaking with Farber Dulos about a potential reconciliation.

Detectives told her that, in their opinion, Dulos was manipulative and controlling and wouldn’t hesitate to pin the murder on her.

“I could be in prison because of him,” she said at one point in the interview. She said she was worried about going to jail and being away from her daughter

Investigators asked Troconis where she thought Farber Dulos was.

“I think that she’s still somewhere, I hope, hiding,” she said.

“I didn’t do it,” she said through sobs at one point in the interview.

In the interviews shown Thursday, investigators also questioned Troconis about pairs of shoes that were missing from the Farmington house and why Dulos decided to shave his head and entire body around the time of Farber Dulos’ disappearance. She told investigators that she shaved his head and that, before then, he had never asked her to do that.

‘He wanted to do this!’: Police report details Fotis Dulos’ last hours in Farmington as he prepared to take his own life

Dulos, who was charged with her murder, died by suicide in 2020. His attorney, Kent Mawhinney, is also awaiting trial on conspiracy charges in connection to the disappearance.

Farber Dulos’ body has never been found but she is presumed dead.

Some of Jennifers’ loved ones attended the multi-day hearing last week, including family spokesperson Carrie Luft. They declined to comment on the case.

Troconis’ loved ones, including her mother, were also present. Her parents, Marisela and Carlos Troconis, issued a statement earlier this month following a remote hearing in their daughter’s case.

“Our hearts ache as we see the focus unfairly narrowing only to our beloved daughter, Michelle,” Troconis’ parents said. “Despite her earnest cooperation with the police back in 2019, she has been enduring these burdensome charges for over four and a half years. It’s agonizing for us to watch our innocent daughter suffer under the weight of a system that seems to be turning a blind eye to justice.

“We plead with everyone involved, especially the investigators, to see the pain and injustice being inflicted upon Michelle and to reconsider the direction of their pursuit,” they added. “Our family’s plea is simple: seek the truth and fairness that Michelle so rightly deserves.”

Troconis’ family and friends have launched a fundraiser “to support Michelle’s family in fighting a draining legal battle to prove her innocence.”

The suppression hearing continues this week. Troconis’ trial is expected to begin at 10 a.m. on Jan. 8, 2024.