The game was funded via Kickstarter last year. Although the core experience is free, players can choose to purchase extra characters and levels. It also offers cross-platform local multiplayer to compete against friends. In Max Gentlemen, players will collect and stack hats in a Victorian-era world, mixed with "the over-the-top, pile-drive-your-mom aesthetics of professional wrestling."
"When you drink a beer, a hat will fly upon your head, because you deserve it (for being so manly)," the game's description reads.
Max Gentlemen was inspired by a spam email for penis pills received by a member of the dev team. Speaking with Polygon via email, designer Ryan Wiemeyer said the team began breaking down the traits of a "Max Gentlemen."
"We decided that they are extreme manner gentlemen," Wiemeyer told Polygon. "Take the showboating and extreme attitude of profession wrestlers and mix them with Victorian era gentlemen. BOOM. You've got a Max Gentlemen.
"We started dreaming up all the extreme things they could do. They open doors for old ladies and rip the door off the handle. They flex and their shirts explode, and they are covered in polite tattoos like 'Manners.' They go to the hat shop, and they wear many many hats."
Although early concepts for Max Gentlemen were unsuccessful, it was later turned into a drinking game for a game jam, and then finally a full product. The game will be available for Android, iOS, Linux, Mac and Windows PC. For a complete breakdown on the game, check out the trailer above.
More from polygon.com:
- Here's why I won't be playing Journey on PlayStation 4
- Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain coming to Steam (update)
- Mass surveillance, Watch Dogs and the militarized police: When strapping cameras on people is a good idea
- A new Silent Hill is coming from Hideo Kojima and Guillermo del Toro
- The new Silent Hill is designed to 'make you shit your pants,' Kojima says
- P.T. is a new interactive horror game for PlayStation 4 and you can try it now (update)