Paul Marotta/Getty Images
- Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg is now the third richest person in the world with a net worth of $81.6 billion, surpassing famed investor Warren Buffett.
- Zuckerberg's net worth passed Buffett's on Friday after Facebook shares went up 2.4%.
- Zuckerberg is still behind Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos and Microsoft cofounder Bill Gates.
Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg is now the third richest person in the world, surpassing famed investor Warren Buffett.
Zuckerberg's net worth increased to $81.6 billion on Friday, Bloomberg reported, after Facebook shares went up 2.4%. The social network is now valued at about $571 billion going into the weekend.
Warren Buffett, chairman and CEO of Berkshire Hathaway, meanwhile, has a net worth of about $81.1 billion.
Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos and Microsoft cofounder Bill Gates are still ahead of Zuckerberg, with net worths of $139.6 billion and $92.3 billion, respectively. This is the first time that the top three wealthiest people in the world all made their fortunes in technology.
Despite Facebook's string of scandals in the wake of the 2016 presidential election — including accusations that the social network helped undermine democracy — Zuckerberg's fortune doesn't appear to be suffering for any of it.
NOW WATCH: This conveyor belt can move in any direction
- Facebook is shutting down an anonymous app for teens it bought less than a year ago
- The Justice Department and FBI’s probe into Cambridge Analytica is now looking at Facebook, and the SEC and FTC are getting involved
- Mark Zuckerberg is a single point of failure at a company that is systemically important to the internet