Harry Nilsson probably didn’t realize the staying power that his song “Coconut” would have when he wrote it back in the 70’s. More than thirty years later, its catchy little line is recognized by nearly everyone!
Related story on Yahoo Makers: DIY this Valentine Shirt for Next to Nothing
Although “she put de lime in de coconut” immortalized the song, we think “you put the lime in my coconut,” turns this little ditty into a funny, tropical Valentine, perfect for your sweetheart.
Related story on Yahoo Makers: Brighten Up Breakfast in Bed on Valentine’s Day
Coconut cups are available at most party stores, such as Party City, for about $2.50 a cup, which means the materials for this project are affordable and easy to come by. Music to our ears!
Of course you could always skip the limes on top, and replace them with a little love potion - pina colada anyone?
- 3 coconut cups, available at party stores
- Lime green cardstock
- Yellow-y green cardstock
- White cardstock
- Yellow foam paper
- Glue stick
- Hot glue gun
1. Cut a few ‘lime-sized’ circles out of the lime green cardstock. Then cut small triangles out of the yellow-y green cardstock.
2. Glue the small triangles onto the circle to create the ‘lime segments.’
3. Snip a small circle out of the foam paper and glue it in the center of the circle.
4. Stack your coconuts and fill the top one with real limes.
5. Hot glue your paper limes onto the coconuts.
6. Write “you put the lime in my coconut,” divided, onto three pieces of white cardstock.
7. Hot glue your message onto the coconuts.
Also on Yahoo Makers:
- 10 DIY Fails that will Make You LOL
- The Easiest Way to Create a Love Poem
- Valentine Pillow Talk Project