Ever wonder what's at the end of the rainbow? Now you can find out with these St. Patrick's Day surprise-inside cupcakes (hint: it's a lot of gold and marshmallows). These fluffy cupcakes are packed with sweet surprises and topped with a lightly sour rainbow strip. These treasures are sure to liven up your St. Patrick's Day party! For more recipes ideas, try our green red velvet cake and our own version of McDonald's Shamrock Shake.
Surprise-Inside Lucky Charms Cupcakes
From Megan Lutz, POPSUGAR Food
- For cupcakes:
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3/4 cup Lucky Charms Marshmallows
- 1/2 cup gold dragee balls
- For frosting:
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter
- 3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1-2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Green food coloring
- Rainbow sour candy belts
- To make cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a cupcake pan with a dozen cupcake liners.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt in a mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, beat together the eggs and sugar, adding in the butter and vanilla. Add the dry ingredients and milk in small additions, alternating between wet and dry until combined. Pour batter into cupcake liners, bake for 20 minutes, and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Once the cupcakes have cooled, use a knife to cut out the center of each cupcake, about 1 inch deep. Trim down the bit of cake you removed and save just the top. Fill each cupcake with equal parts marshmallows and gold dragee balls, about 1 tablespoon of each. Cover the hole with the cake you saved from earlier.
- To make the frosting: Mix butter and powdered sugar until combined. Add heavy whipping cream, vanilla, and salt and mix until smooth. Divide the frosting, leaving 1/3 white and folding in green food coloring into the other 2/3.
- Pipe the green frosting onto the cupcakes. Top with half of a rainbow belt and two white buttercream clouds on either end. Enjoy!
- Cook Time
Average ( votes):